Sunday, November 23, 2014

personal rules...


 when it comes to all things creative I have a few personal rules that have kept me in good stead over the years...

i only make things that are flat

i don't make things that need facings

i don't make anything that requires a rolled hem

although I have been known to have a glass of wine whilst machine quilting, i never do when cutting out a quilt... nor when buying fabric

and darts are out of the question

i've just added another no-no to the list

 karen's latest class "doodle, gather, create" intrigued me from the day she announced it
i loved doodling in high school
and i certainly like to gather bits and pieces of this and that

first task was to choose an inspiration fabric - the one above is mine

pale beige with blue branches, random smaller white ones thrown in for good measure

i set to work the other evening, dithering over pen choice... black too harsh, my usual dark brown colour of choice too dark as well

i finally found a nice lighter brown one and began doodling on heavy watercolour paper
it wasn't long before i became completely absorbed and progressed well, delighting in the design that emerged - smaller branches, the curve slightly exaggerated... similar, yet different

i was three-quarters of the way finished when, after holding it up at a slightly different angle than before, i realized to my dismay my light brown pen was red!

argh!!

new rule - no more choosing pen colours at night


i couldn't bring myself to toss it and start over and so here it is, in all it's glory

after the drawing was completed i started in on the next part
isolation and definition


 getting side-tracked along the way with other circular ideas


putting this here and that there to see what other ideas take hold


embroidering on mulberry paper
slowly and oh, so carefully!


loving how they look, together and apart


thrilled with this paper-work


i have a notebook beside me where i am busily jotting down the ideas as they flow
karen said there would more inspiration in this work we produce than hours in the day, that it would inform future work and be an amazing reference to look back on
i am already seeing that and i've really just got started on this piece


 pen-work becomes stitch-craft


 i've finally decided what comes next with this and hope to get at it soon

in the meanwhile, i'm just shuffling all this paper around and about, entertaining myself in the most delightful way!

10 comments:

FlowerLady Lorraine said...

Lovely inspirational work as always.

I love the embroidery on the mulberry paper. Wow! It grips me for some reason.

I love the little star with the word I chose on it, Hope. It is oh so sweet and special to me.

Have a lovely week ~ FlowerLady

Rachel said...

It's fascinating to see the development here, and the changes in the elements from line to stitch.

Mosaic Magpie said...

I never thought stitching on paper could be so lovely! Really neat ideas playing with the circles. Love the inspiration fabric!!!!
xo,
Deb

Magpie's Mumblings said...

I wonder if there's such a thing as having too much fun? It's obvious you are loving every minute of this!

karen said...

yes but....brown or red, it's still stunningly beautiful.

Marj Talbot said...

The embroidery combination is stunning - love it.

deanna7trees said...

i love the way you 'tell' about what you are doing. your words are as beautiful as the stitching and paper work you produce.

Dorthe said...

Oh so beautiful, on the mulberry paper, dear Jillayne , so lovely and fragile,- a wonderful idea, and also very beautiful is the other paper piece, even the colour showed up as reddish and not brown!! A lovely pattern, it is. I think I would love a glass of wine also, when creating, but for now I will have my dinner with a sip or two.
Hugs,Dorthe

Tina said...

so beautiful and inspiring Jillayne. love the paper bits and the branch pattern.

Createology said...

When I first saw your inspiration fabric I couldn't "see" what you would do. I think your red pen doodles are wonderful. And then you stitched magic onto Mulberry paper! Great circle works. Simply lovely and I can see how your ideas are pouring forth. Spending time with needle and thread is Creative Bliss...