Friday, October 3, 2014

fast forward...

fast forward and rewind... loved those buttons

remember fighting with them to get exactly to start of your favourite song???
the cd player in our car isn't nearly as much fun as my old tape recorder was - it's always taking you right to the very beginning of any song with the touch of a button - technology sometimes takes the fun out of things...

i did do a bit of a different kind of rewind this week though

one of the earliest issues of victoria magazine featured a woman who collected vintage linens and lace, having combined a number of them into a tablecloth that featured prominently at family weddings

i thought it was a wonderful idea and hoped someday to make one - "the want"

fast forward to a few years ago taking a course from karen ruane where she showed how to combine scraps of vintage linen with embroidery to create something extraordinary

so now i knew "the how"

fast forward to a year ago when i was gifted with a selection of vintage embroidered doilies
the kind you put on the end tables in your living room after you had dusted everything with lemon fresh pledge
at least i did - dusting the living room was often my chore and my favourite part was choosing which doily to put where

many of the doilies given to me had stains here and there, many more were just fine

yesterday i started sorting, washing, ironing, plotting and scheming


choosing scraps of 30s prints that are perfect with the yesterday charm these pieces hold


i laid my favourites out in a kind of nine patch, pinning them to the ultra fine muslin i purchased from john lewis in london last september


cutting up some of the stained ones to cover paper hexagon shapes

i'm making a table cloth - about 36" square
the kind we used to put on the kitchen table when i was a little girl, after all the cleaning was done


 i'll join them together, adding embroidery and applique in the style of the 60s


 charming, but fun


some parts soft and delicate, others colourful and playful

beautiful edges, pretty lace


 and in the end i hope to create something kind of retro, a rewind to the decade when i was little and furniture polish was the sign of an orderly home


 with a little fast forward to where i am now, all grown up, eco dust cloths and all
no doilies on the end tables any more though...


 but the table, well, a special cloth on the table is still a sign of being in a special place at a special time


and since my mom just bought a brand-spanking new table, i think it deserves a brand-spanking-new-old tablecloth


i just hope she doesn't make me dust it first!


14 comments:

KW said...

love this blog.....lemon pledge........OMG........is there any other way to dust? Sfen and Olaf arrived home safe and sound. xoxo

suziqu's thread works said...

What delightful little and embroidered linen hexagons!
This table cloth will take pride of place on your new mother's table. I am sure she will treasure it Jillayne!

FlowerLady Lorraine said...

Another lovely creation you are working on. You are such an inspiration Jillayne.

Have a great weekend ~ FlowerLady

karen said...

I love the second image where you have all your memories pinned together Jillayne...I polished this morning, yes with pledge, not lemon though.

Karen B. said...

Oh Jillayne,
I am already in love with what you are creating! I wish I could take lessons from you and sit with you when you are working on this piece. I can't wait to see it once it is finished.
Many hugs,
Karen B. ~ Todolwen

Diane Kelsey said...

How wonderful, I love the idea of covering stains with hexagons and stitchery. The finished cloth with be stunning.

Dorthe said...

I love the sweet little flowered hexagons, Jillayne, -this table cloth will be a pride in your mothers home, for her new table. What a beautiful work.
Hugs,Dorthe

Suztats said...

Fridays was pledge day. The house would smell all lemony and fresh, and my mother's crocheted doilies would be placed on the diningroom table and hutch, awaiting company over the weekend, protecting the wood surface with their pretty patterns. The chandelier overhead would make the table shine through all those tiny holes.
Thanks for the memory, Jillayne. Your cloth will be wonderful!

CelestinaMarie@SouthernDayDreams said...

Hi Jillayne, you are creating a masterpiece. I love all the details and the special pieces you are joining together. Your creativity is always amazing. I know you were inspired by an idea from the magazine, but you've placed your own style on this and it is going to be stunning when finished.

Have fun and enjoy the process.

Thank you for stopping by and your sweet visit and comment.
Have a wonderful week.
Hugs

Michelle May-The Raspberry Rabbits said...

Love the memory of pledge and the doilies on the tables. Made me think of my grandma. Great post and this is going to be a beautiful piece girlfriend. Thinking of you and smiling. :)

Createology said...

I normally do not read comments especially before I make mine, however I just had to read these before me. It is unanimous about the lovely new/old treasured cloth you are creating for your mother's new table. Such a lovely way to preserve those old linens and the loving stitches put into each one so many years ago. And now with your loving stitches this well be an heirloom for generations to come. Creative Linen Bliss and Lemon Pledge Blessings...

Deb said...

You take me back to my own childhood lemon pledge memories, I was the chosen one for dust duty too and when I first set up house years later lemon pledge wafted through the rooms on Saturday mornings.
The first photo of doilies could have been plucked from my own keepsakes from long ago, I began as a teen and today I am taking a class to keep things fresh. Wonderful post

Deb~Paxton Valley Folk Art said...

What a wonderful idea Jillayne and coming from your skilled hands it will indeed become one of your families treasured possessions.

Tina said...

I absolutely love this project with your tablecloth Jillayne.such a wonderful idea. It's so perfect with the bright color splash in between.