Wednesday, September 3, 2014

thump...

here i am landing in blogland with a big thump after several weeks' absence...

the image below is pretty accurate 

it's mayhem, alright

not really controlled either... barely managed, mostly endured

the summer of easy relaxed days was not to be, but it was a good summer nonetheless


gallivanting around bc, alberta and the western states
visitors coming and going
canning and preserving
a quilt shop closing and another opening
work, work and more work

these past few weeks i've also been struggling to get my class samples made
i think i'm half-way through, and the first one done is my hand-made book
"a compendium of spells, potions and lotions"

the book-binding part is done - i have the spells and receipts to do next
know any good ones????

charms and beads and special buttons decorate the spine


the man in the moon is a charm from a pair of banana bob earrings from a decade or two ago


the stray cat strut below is from a funky bracelet that belonged to my grand-mother
i have enough cats to share one with each person taking the class

 the black net adds a little elegance i think...
 

hallowe'en fabric for the cover, deep purple ribbon for the tie


most of the papers are black, orange, purple, brown...


 with the odd spooky one thrown in here and there


i loved making this book and will love filling it even better

"eye of newt" and all that


a local outdoor theatre poster from last year makes for a fun fold-out page too!


teaching classes pushes me in ways i can hardly begin to describe - asking myself all the time, "what can i do to make this piece more interesting?"

"what detail can i add that might inspire someone to sign up? to say to themselves "i have to make this!?!"

and then of course, the desire to put your best face forward, do your best work, think of what else could be done with this technique, and wrap it all up in a fun-filled experience that would make them want to come back

it can be exhausting, but it's ever so exhilarating at the same time

all of this would be more than enough to keep a body and a mind busy to the nth degree

but life has a cruel way of coming back to haunt one from time to time

in this year of re-visiting words, about mid-august i was wondering about september's word and how that might possibly play out... two years ago the word i chose for september was "sorrow"

that was the month we lost bozzy, our dear little cat

and with cruel irony, it appears miss josie is herself failing on us now

she is terribly ill, frail, and in need of great looking after
tiny little cat who seems to be slipping away from us a little more each day

she sleeps a lot, so we all pile on the bed and hang out together, watching movies, reading books - she seems to take comfort from having someone close by

 happy-sad

so if you know of a spell or a potion or an incantation or two that might put a spring in her step or a smile on my face tell me true and i'll write it in my wee book

and i'll be trying to wend my way through all this to see what y'all have been up to - i miss you!!

8 comments:

Louise Michie said...

Have the vet check your cat's teeth. Cats get nodules on their teeth and this makes then really ill. The vet can remove the crook teeth and the cat will be much better within hours.

Marj Talbot said...

Oh my - I can't express how much I love this book and truly wish I could attend that class. I so much like this one and I have a passion for putting these little books together. It's soooo much fun. As for your little Josie, I hope and pray for her recovery but it it's not to be, stay strong and hold her dear - sometimes the only thing we can do to show we care and ease the pain, is a big hug. I guess that's my "spell" - hug her gently and she will be comforted.

Dorthe said...

Dear Jillayne,
what a fantastic book, I love the colours, and sweet decorations you made for your beautiful spine, and the ones coming to your class will have so much fun , creating this.
Yes summer went away far too quickly here, and with the deaths of my mother 2 weeks ago, also these last months have been filled with sadness. Now I`m better though.
Hugs to you,
Dorthe,

Wendy said...

Your book is so very lovely...sorry to read about your sick kitty, hope she gets to feeling better soon.

Createology said...

Oh how I adore your Halloween book. I would so take your class just to share the fun you and your lucky students will have. As for a spell for Josie...I can only pray she is not in pain. I still miss my BooBoo kitty and think of her every day. Hugs are very good and here are some for you dear ((hugs)). I have missed your posts but knew you must be busy. I agree with where did summer go so quickly. Healing energy for your family and Miss Josie...

CelestinaMarie@SouthernDayDreams said...

Hi Jillayne, you sure have been missed but I know life has a way of keeping us busy and then the time fly's by us.
I just love your Halloween book and all the darling details. You create everything with such magic. I know all that you do will inspire students to take the class.

I am so sorry about your sweet cat. I don't know the perfect potion but I know that the love you are giving Josie is of great comfort to her.

Thoughts and prayers come your way. Have a great weekend.
Hugs

Deb~Paxton Valley Folk Art said...

Jillayne, so sorry to hear that Miss Josie is not well. I did a little search and found this healing spell, hope it might help her.

Oh Goddess Moon,
I call upon your light
to heal the sick with your might.
Let the Earth nourish them
so the pain will fade away.
Give them the power to fight,
this is my will so mote it be.

{Hugs}, Deb
P.S. love your spell book and do a search for wiccan or pagan spells, there are lots of sites with great spells and incantations.

karen said...

I am sending good thoughts for Josie....hang in there. I love this book...wow.... and spells? Are you calling me a witch? Ha, it wouldn't be the first time it's been said :)