Wednesday, September 10, 2014

sunshine...


as i was sitting in my sewing room the other morning, doing my daily writing, the room brightened considerably in the most incredible way... slowly and steadily, over the space of about fifteen seconds, the level of lightness increased in such a manner that i stopped writing and looked around

it was the most amazing thing...

as i glanced around, i noticed the sunlight highlighting certain things and casting shadows on others


the shadow of the curtains, sunlight sparkling off jars filled with buttons, beads and baubles


 my linen rabbit from many years ago; i never did get around to "finishing" him and now i've decided to leave him just as he is


magnetic snowflakes sparkling like jewels


adding the softest sheen to the lid of a very old preserving jar
 


highlighting this delightful pin keep by lori ann corelis


late summer early morning sunshine - the best kind

sunshine through freshly opened leaves, the strong scent of green, their shadows dappling lightly on the wooden sidewalk outside our front yard - i was three and playing with my dolls sam, fred, george and charles, hidden among the low branches
{all my dolls had boy's names, even though they were girl dolls - my dad thought it would be a funny thing and so convinced me to name them all that way... i remember as i grew older that it seemed curious to me, but their names were their names and sam, fred, george and charles they were}

i remember sunshine on my shoulders as i played in the water at marsh lake when i was a few years older, humming "sunshine on the water makes me smile" over and over

as a teenager it was nazareth's "sunshine, every single day helps to light my way"

and then dr. hooks' beautiful, haunting "i can't touch the sun"

several years ago my daughter made a cd for me with all my favourite sun songs on it - i don't remember the order of them but i do believe the first one was "walking on sunshine" by katrina and the waves


my most favourite one of all though is by the beatles, and it's what i was humming the other morning as my room filled slowly and steadily with such glowing light...

"here comes the sun"
 
so beautifully fitting

 which sun song suits you best?



8 comments:

Tanya @ Bead and Needle said...

What sweet memories were brought by that sunshine this week! Hey, friend...been gone off and on this summer, and I know I've missed a lot. Your photos are beautiful - I love when the sun starts to "look" like fall here - I noticed it in the late afternoon last week, myself. It just has a different "feel" to it. Sam, Fred, and George - Daddies have such a great sense of fun, don't they. Off to bed now, but will be back to play catch up over the next few days. Lots of sunshine on your shoulders til then, my friend - XOXO

FlowerLady Lorraine said...

Great photos and memories.

'Here comes the sun' brings back memories of life long ago.

I love how the morning sun shines through the lace curtains in the kitchen door, and through the stained glass window in the living room. Then it moves west and shines in another living room window, the window of my space and a window in the bedroom.

Your photos have made me want to look around to see what the sunlight lands on.

I love your pin holder, that is adorable.

Enjoy your day ~ FlowerLady

Mosaic Magpie said...

I noticed the other day how the sun is shifting in the sky as fall approaches. What once was in shadows now has the sun's full glory. "Here Comes The Sun" always brings a smile to my face.
xo,
Deb

oldgreymareprimitives said...

beautiful photos and post...one of my favorite Beatles tunes and one I still doodle to this day :D

Dorthe said...

Lovely, lovely catching of the sunlight in your beautiful room.
I see so many sweet things here in your studio, and love it all.
Your rabbit is wonderful left as is, and the pin cussion so adorable - about the sunshine music...I too favor the Beatles
dear Gillayne !
Hugs, Dorthe

CelestinaMarie@SouthernDayDreams said...

Hi Jillayne, love your photos with the sun streaming through the gorgeous room. You have so many darling accents to inspire and view while creating. So sweet is your pin cushion!
The song by the Beatles is perfect for the post.
Wishing you a wonderful weekend.
Hugs

Createology said...

I am late to your Sunshine tribute however I LOVE SUNSHINE!!! We are Falling into Autumn here too as the sun shifts from Summer. Not sure which song is my favorite but I do love to be called "Sunshine". Creative Sunshine Bliss Dear...

Tina said...

Love that little rabbit on the pincushion - he's so cute