Tuesday, August 5, 2014

the tale of a pin-tuck schmuk


ever since i was very young i have been drawn to fabric with texture
it started with smocking and ruffles and gathers 
tucks and pleats

loved it all...

a few months back i bought a pin-tucking foot for my sewing machine and last night i finally tried it out

fail!

i kept getting two perfectly parallel sets of running stitches - pretty enough, but not quite what i had in mind


i finally resorted to google and within minutes the culprit was discovered - tension

i hadn't adjusted my tension, and it needs to be super tight

trying again, i got a slightly better result but not quite the beautiful raised rows i was hoping for


all is never lost with these kind of things though - just see how lovely and almost "puffy" it is from the back?

i'll definitely be doing some hand-stitching on this


 to tell you the truth, i don't mind the front so much either


but i was determined to get a better result so off to the quilt shop i went

and after a consultation with a friend and co-worker, came out with a handy-dandy little gadget for adding cording

first i tried perle #5 - lovely raised pin-tuck!


almost a little too raised though
{you can call me goldilocks...}

 the next one was tried with perle #8 and it was just right

  laying strips of lace on top of the fabric and pin-tucking over top added yet another lovely layer of texture

that is a technique i plan to experiment with a whole lot more


 i absolutely love these last two surfaces i've created, and am thinking about where i go with them next


really, even the crummy version looks pretty here... imagine what it would be like with hand embroidery? 
it would be like the ugly ducking, becoming a swan...


 who knew surface embroidery and fairy tales had anything in common?
 

12 comments:

oldgreymareprimitives said...

how brave you are..I still have not attempted any of my 12 feet included with latest machine purchase... even my gathering foot..of course it's a year since I dusted off the machine..I had the thought today that I need studio time to set my world "right".

Draffin Bears said...

Hello Jillayne,

I love the pintucking - very effective.
When our daughter was small I made her quite a few smocked dresses which were really pretty. Nice to see all this exquisite detail around still.
Enjoy your week
Carolyn

FlowerLady Lorraine said...

You are undaunted and inspire me.

Thank you ~ FlowerLady

Marj Talbot said...

I will look forward to seeing your fine stitching on this piece. Hand stitching adds so much more. Love to read your posts - always so well displayed and written.

Createology said...

Lovely bits of experimentation. With your talented hands the bliss is just beginning. Interesting how you pintucked the already textured "wrinkly" fabric. Sew many options from here...
Staying Busy and Creating Bliss...

Createology said...

Lovely bits of experimentation. With your talented hands the bliss is just beginning. Interesting how you pintucked the already textured "wrinkly" fabric. Sew many options from here...
Staying Busy and Creating Bliss...

Wendy said...

I love how your foray into pin tucking has come out...and when you add stitch to this it will be amazing...I have been thinking about getting a foot for my machine as well and seeing your results makes me really want to get one now...I will be looking forward to seeing this titivated to the hilt...

janie krig said...

thanks for showing your experiments, how fun and you are determined! Very inspiring.

Wendy said...

1
I probably would have thrown it across the room after the first time! They're all very different but I like them all

Suztats said...

Oooh, lovely texture. Now there will be more fun experimenting, I'm sure......and I'll be watching to see what happens. Your pieces will be gorgeous once you add your stitching.
My machine may be too old to have a pin-tucking foot available...but i might check on that......I love the effect.

Deb~Paxton Valley Folk Art said...

Beautiful, it's now just right Goldilocks!

karen said...

extremely beautiful surfaces Jillayne....and you couldn't buy them!!