Wednesday, July 2, 2014

seriously...


quite the post title - "seriously"

summers are supposed to be light-hearted, fun, easy breezy

from light summer reading to simple summer meals, the catch words are always reminiscent of porch swings and lemonade and bare feet on green grass

for me, they're also all about summer school...


 this summer is no exception... i always end up having to work a few extra shifts at both jobs so i console myself with taking a class or two


sketchbookery started on the 1st, lace begins on the 7th

and so yesterday i painted


i painted watercolour mixing charts


and discovered that payne's grey is the absolute best colour ever invented

ever


 i fiddled about endlessly trying to leave a little white spot in each colour sample


i lost track of what colour should come next and missed one or two here and there - oh well, no matter really - easy, breezy after all


i saw for myself the difference between "artist quality" and  "works okay"


i played with blotting


 i made pastel paint chip cards and experimented even more with blotting


"when you look at this, tell me the first word you think of"...

i sat outside, at the patio table, under the green umbrella and i painted

enjoying the flow of colour, the swish of the water, twirling the paintbrush and experimenting my way through many sheets of watercolour paper

my husband came along to see what i was up to... cool... did i have a spare piece of paper?

in less than five minutes flat he sketched the sketch you see below

and painted it

using a permanent marker as his sketching tool... not a single line erased


i sat and watched him... amazed at how it took shape - so quick, so... right
out of his head... the mind's eye
jealous, yes
in awe - more so

this drawing, sketching and painting that intrigues me so - he just sat and did it, just like that - in the blink of an eye... easy, peasy

he smiled and went back to watering something or other in the garden

ten minutes later he came back and asked if i had any more paper...

this one took four minutes, start to finish


 it's amazing to me how someone can do this

how can you draw something like this with no reference in front of you?

i suppose it's some kind of innate knowing, but when you don't have it, it's almost impossible to comprehend


he smiled a half a smile and said, "well, i can't draw a horse"
 

14 comments:

Diane Kelsey said...

How lovely to share that time together. A talented husband indeed.

Deb~Paxton Valley Folk Art said...

Wow, seriously indeed! Your hubby is very talented and I am more than a little jealous of his abilities too! And I bet he could draw a horse too, darn it! Love playing with watercolours and it is definitely worth the money to buy the artist quality paints, the colour intensity is worth every penny. Payne's Grey is a lovely colour, sometimes blue, sometimes grey, sometimes almost black, love it! Enjoy your classes, can't wait to see what you create. Hope you had a wonderful Canada Day! Deb

Mosaic Magpie said...

Seeing Mark's drawings reminded me of school. The boys would all be drawing cars, planes or tanks and the girls flowers, houses and animals. Mark has some skills!
Deb

Monica said...

So impressed! How lovely (the first thing I noticed was that we always draw "girl stuff" and men do draw "boy stuff"! :)
Be sure to bring your watercolors along with you when you come here! :)))
xoxo

Mary Ann said...

i absolutely LOVE your husband. please continue to share his quick sketches with us because they are FABULOUS!!!
as are your palette cards. luscious.

epocktextiles said...

he is a boy - I bet he was doing drawings very similar to this when he was a boy (ie 8 yrs old). It is great, but I dont LOVE his work like I do yours - yours has heart, where his has reproduction. I like his

Wendy said...

your colour samples at the top look good enough to frame and put on the wall! There must be something in the water as I, just an hour ago, signed up for Pintangle's Studio Journal class... I'm really nervous as I'm no artist, hoping I didn't make a mistake...

Your Mr is very talented, but less of the German tanks and more T34s please Mr Jillayne!

Dorthe said...

Your husbonds drawings are fantastic, Jillayne, wow, I can`t do such just from my head, -he has a special gift!!
But I also love the colour cards you made , and enjoied seing all your play, lucky you to have those two wonderful workshops.
Seing your blue pieces where you experimented with blotting I at once thought : horizon reflecting in the sea!!!
Hugs and happy 4`th of July, dear.
Dorthe

Michelle Gilmore said...

Fun indeed!

Draffin Bears said...

Hi Jillayne,

How fun to attend the summer workshop and I loved seeing what you got up to. Also how talented your husband is with his his sketching.
Hope all is well with you and you are enjoying your summer.
hugs
Carolyn

Suztats said...

Your DH has skills, Jillayne. I think, too, that having an interest in something, being familiar with it, makes drawing/painting it so much easier.
Loved seeing the paint samples (I need to get back to painting! I miss it. Once the wedding piece is finished........)
Looking forward to watching your class results. Have fun!

Createology said...

How very glorious for you both to enjoy a few minutes of art time together. How amazing his drawings are! I however really can relate much better to your color blocks...as I cannot draw at all! I am enamored with your little white spaces for reference. The only thing better for me would be to join you with colors, water, paper and time together...sharing Creative Bliss!! I am so happy to be home and reading my favorite blogs.

Michelle May-The Raspberry Rabbits said...

Amazing. I had to laugh about, "I can't draw a horse." :)

Hugs!

karen said...

seriously.......LOVE your colour studies! Relax with your ledger....it will energise you...