Thursday, July 31, 2014

before i forget...


i started making lists again...
during my daily morning writing

it interrupts the flow of thought-streaming writing but before i forget what i want to remember i make a list

mostly it works out well but on occasion i've been a tad optimistic...

i'm also taking more pictures of things that inspire me - that spur me on in some way, influence me, give me ideas

there was no end to the inspiration i found on our trip to the uk last year and rather than furiously write down what i was thinking as i saw what i saw, i photographed some of it

below is a relief sculpture, part of the memorial to the great fire in london

i liked it for so much more than what it is - it makes me want to do more monochromatic work
it makes me think of the importance of value
i'm intrigued by the patterning on the right
i'm enthralled by the clothes, and the scrolls...


the picture below of the train station 
{it's in the midst of pictures i took at the york train station and i'm sure it was there but it somehow doesn't seem big enough to be york... what was i saying again about forgetting and remembering...???}}

i took this one for the linear aspects of it...
the snaking lines of the track, the straight up and downs of the pillars, the curving arc of the roof, all that combined with small pin-prick type dots and the lines of the roof cables


in cornwall, at the seaside, we had mizzle... a cross between mist and drizzle - i called it water falling through the air
it eased the hard edges of the landscape and cast the finest, thinnest skin of grey over all the colours, letting them hold true and yet softening them somehow, blending them together until the water and the sky and the foam on the beach were one


this tiny painting of the yorkshire moors, my most treasured souvenir

showing me how light and bright and dark and muted can work together to create a landscape that is at once moody and gentle and changes throughout the day with the light in my sewing room


below, a fragment of painted plaster in the british museum in london
antiquities from around the world
trying to take it all in was impossible and after about two hours i wanted to leave - hadn't seen it all but i was on overload by that time


there's only so much i can take in, before it all starts going in one eye and out the other

more often than not i can remember things i see well enough, but as the years go by i'm relying more and more on the camera as a  reference back to what i was thinking and feeling
coupled with a little notebook i carry around with me that has the most random collection of notes in it, from restaurant menu items, to names of hotels and towns to thoughts pondered whilst journeying... between the two i have found a method of recording that seems to be working well enough

next up i want to print these photos and put them in my design journal, adding notes, extrapolating on ideas, extending them - something tangible to reference back to, to help me remember what inspired me, before i forget...

8 comments:

FlowerLady Lorraine said...

Great photos! That train station is wonderful!

I absolutely love that little painting.

Have a great weekend ~ FlowerLady

Marj Talbot said...

The moors would be one of my favourites for sure. It would tempt one with a paint brush if one was capable of painting.
Now speaking of forgetting, I had to pause and go back to your post to remember which other photo grabbed my attention - the one of the mizzle. I love that one - enlarged and matted would be terrific. Photos in a book/journal along with writing is so important - from experience.
Thanks for sharing these photos and your reflections.

CelestinaMarie@SouthernDayDreams said...

Jillayne,
Wonderful photos!! You captured your inspirations well and I love the sweet little painting.
I also love to jot down notes when traveling and even junk hunting of treasures or places that I want to recall for another time when creating.

Wishing you a special weekend.
Hugs

Wendy said...

I can see why you fell in love with that little landscape...just beautiful...

janie krig said...

Beautifully inspiring, thanks for sharing...

Createology said...

I am enjoying your photos and see that I am taking lots more photos to remember all the amazing places and things I see. I don't write many notes however I realize I should as the ol' memory isn't what it used to be. Your posts are always so enjoyable and thoughtful. Your brain thinks so much deeper than mine and I learn from you dear.

karen said...

so many wonderful memories of England.....

Belladonna said...

Wonderful and dreamy atmosphere...