Tuesday, June 3, 2014

blue on blue


where did may go?

i feel as though i blinked and i missed it
and now it's june...

i just got up to go and look at my monthly word list, to see what word belongs to june

"simple"

it fits, still

i'm seeing a pattern with these words, they fit the rhythm of my year, and as each one comes along i gain a greater understanding of why i chose it the first time 'round

june is when it begins to feel like the year is getting away from me, the days and weeks rolling along, gathering steam - lazy days of summer, my big toe!

simple in june reminds me to slow it down a little, not make the plans too grand, keep it simple, let it happen...

simple is my guiding thought for my latest project as well


 i am in love with this way of piecing and see much, much more of it in my future

cutting with scissors, no rulers allowed

edges overlapping, tiny stitches to hold it all in place whilst i think of what comes next


turning my thoughts to how this will be laid out

the tree trunk will be the left border of  the quilt, the branches will form the sashing

 the blocks will be traditional block patterns, but distorted, so as to fit within the branch sashing

from the ground, to the grasses and the shrubs to the sky


the other day i made some snippet fabric

a technique i learned in one of karen's classes
{just knowing how to make this would have been enough}


next step is to add some hand embroidery and then cut it up to use as fabric in my block piecing
mixing it in with traditional quilting cottons as well as batik fabrics


thinking about sky and clouds

and blue


blue on blue with a chance of lace

i like that weather report!

 

10 comments:

FlowerLady Lorraine said...

The blues speak to my heart.

Cherie said...

Fabulous Jillayne

Dorthe said...

Your snippet piece is so lovely, in blue tones dear Jillayne,- I love how the machine embroidery holds it all together .Beauty and sweetness.
Hugs from me. xx

CelestinaMarie@SouthernDayDreams said...

Hi Jillayne, Simple and beautiful!!
Love the blue and your ideas are perfect. You always share something amazing and I am once again inspired by my visit!! Happy June and Happy Creating.
Hugs

Wendy said...

that snippet fabric is just beautiful...

Suztats said...

I too feel the time rushing away--the warm days of spring and summer slipping through my fingers, lost in the hours of taming gardens, and simple is a good word. I forget sometimes to stop and be enveloped by the moment-- the birdsong, the sun on my face, the scent of a flower--and absorb all it is.
Your blue snippets capture the changing, fleeting moments of the sky. I love your weather report!
Happy June.

Deb~Paxton Valley Folk Art said...

Beautiful Jillayne, the blues are so calming and peaceful! And I am with you, where did May go?? Soon it will be the first day of Summer and the days will start to get shorter as we start our journey towards fall ... how the years fly by!

karen said...

yes, June came round so fast. You know I love this.....you know.

Michelle May-The Raspberry Rabbits said...

The year is flying indeed. Always does. Love these pieces. Reminds me of how Jude Hill of Spirit Cloth stitches and the stories that emerge from the cloth. Check her out.

Laura said...

The blue on blue is beautiful! Reminds me of the purses you used to make for your sale... only better.