Tuesday, June 17, 2014

a girl's gotta do...


on vacation in oregon visiting family

as usual i was busy as could be before we left so i wasn't able to pack a project or two to work on... I thought it would be alright with nothing to work on - a bit of a break...

wrong!

wrong, wrong, wrong, wrong

my fingers started twitching on the second day and by the fifth, i was in dire straits, the desire to make something, overwhelming

so I wandered around the local quilt and knit shop here in sisters and happened upon a pattern for a knitted hot water bottle cover



the cold nights here remind of winter evenings at home, and how much improved they are when snuggled up with a toasty hot water bottle - usually mine is wrapped with an old towel so this seemed like the perfect project - quick, simple, and ever so practical

my son and I used to have a tug of war over the hot water bottle with him usually getting the first shift as he went to bed earlier - i'm thinking perhaps these might make lovely christmas gifts - easy enough and fun, what with all the wonderful yarns available...

in the meanwhile, my fingers have settled, with the rhythm of the needles clicking, the soft feel of the yarn as it slides through my fingers, and the wonderful satisfaction that comes from creating something... a girl's just gotta do what she's gotta do!

11 comments:

Diane Kelsey said...

What a great idea for a present. I hope you enjoy the rest of your holiday x

Cherie said...

The water bottle cover looks great. We have just started Winter her so i could do with one of those. Enjoy your holiday and happy stitching..

Marj Talbot said...

Better to go without a project - now you're working on something you never thought of - surprise!!!
Have a wonderful vacation - we're enjoying Okanagan sunshine today!

FredaB said...

Takes me back to my childhood in a house with a coal furnace that had to be stoked up every morning before we had good heat.

We used hot water bottles every night in the cold weather. Red rubber if I remember right.

They were the "Good Old Days"?

Hugs
FredaB

Monica said...

Oh Jillayne, how much I LOVE this post! I have made the mistake before! Never, ever again without something creative to do! :)
Hot water bottles are my favorites! I collect them (in an old English home, they are welcome in every room!;).
xoxo

Deb~Paxton Valley Folk Art said...

LOL, what's that saying about idle hands being the devil's workshop?! Good thing you got to knitting! Great project and enjoy your visit in beautiful Oregon. Deb

CelestinaMarie@SouthernDayDreams said...

Hi Jillayne, how special. These would make great gifts. I can never travel without something to work on.
Hands to work, hearts to God!!

Thank you for stopping by and your kind comment. Always great to see you.
Enjoy your time away and have fun.
Hugs and Blessings!

karen said...

oh yes, I know all about the finger twitching too!

Laura said...

I don't own a hot water bottle, but I'll take slouchy toques, infinity scarves and knee high socks.

Laura said...

OR...

legwarmers.

Becca said...

Wow, Oregon huh? You were in my neck of the woods! I've been loving the cool nights, but today was the first day it was pretty warm…at least I know it won't stay that way…I would rather snuggle up with some crochet!