Tuesday, May 20, 2014

let it grow...

spending a little time puttering in my sewing room

working on my latest endeavour to create something original

the inspiration image i chose is somewhat whimsical whereas i'm thinking of something a little more edgy

it's a good jumping off point though, in many ways

my head has been spinning with ideas... what to use, how to do it, what colours, what, what, what

so i made a mind-map



 i didn't plan for the lines to be branches and the arrows to be leaves, but i can't draw a straight line for love nor money, and as i was trying to sort out where to place the bird image, the idea came to me

it was a simple matter of taking up a brown marker and enhancing my "curves" and thickening up a few lines

i quite like it but wish i'd thought of it from the start - i might have done a better job of it...

below are just some of the fabrics i'll sample blocks with


today i decided it was time to play with them

nine patch

the nine patch was the first quilt block i learned - simple, simple


square-in-a-square
 this was always one of my favourites


the "no idea" quilt block
 this one was just because i liked the fabrics so much i had to make something with them - i am a sucker for toile and if there isn't any in the final piece i will be most surprised!



 i'm quite taken with how they marry up with the inspiration image


 tonight i'll baste them and then over the next few days i can work on the hand and machine embroidery


this is so much fun - more than i thought it would be, this sampling thing

sampling fabrics, sampling design ideas, sampling stitch
no commitment, nothing cast in stone... just the seed of an idea, beginning to take root

"let it blossom, let it flow"




11 comments:

FlowerLady Lorraine said...

I am loving this, the colors are wonderful and the different blocks are great. You are so talented.

Happy Creating ~ FlowerLady

Suztats said...

I think it's flowing together so well--the colours, fabrics, design. I am looking forward to watching this grow.......

Tanya @ Bead and Needle said...

Oh, your creative mind and talented hands make me smile! I can't wait to see this latest creation come to fruition - hope all is well in the land of the North! XOXOXO

Tanya @ Bead and Needle said...

Oh, your creative mind and talented hands make me smile! I can't wait to see this latest creation come to fruition - hope all is well in the land of the North! XOXOXO

Createology said...

Jillayne Dear your samplings are exquisite. The colors and fabrics are marrying truly well together. The bird on a branch with the design limbs and leaves is a treasure for your ledger. Your work is always amazing and breathtaking. Creative Growing Bliss Dear...

CelestinaMarie@SouthernDayDreams said...

Hi Jillayne, WOW even your samples and inspirational arrangements are works of art. You are just flat amazing with everything you touch. A true artist my friend and I wish I had half your talent!!
Love this and the colors are stunning.
Have a nice weekend.
Hugs

Monica said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Monica said...

Dear Jillayne,
ooh you know I love the NO IDEA block!!;)
So perfect, when you have no idea what to do... just do something! I think it is pretty much what happens with many of my paintings! Just letting ideas flow.
There's a little gift for you on my blog... I have moved and now blog on WP. Hope you'll LOVE it.
Monica xoxo
P.S. Will write a "proper" note soon.

karen said...

''this sampling thing''...ha...yes it's quite good isn't it :)

Dorthe said...

Dear Jillayne,
Your blocks are so beautiful, you have used the most lovely fabrics, and adding embroidery will make them even more beautiful! I love your mind map, and your samples -and the bird on the leaves is just going to be so amazing.
Hugs,Dorthe

Laura said...

The second block you showed is my favorite. Love the black and white fabric you found!