Friday, April 4, 2014

organize???


apparently "organize" was my word for april of 2012

yeah right
good luck 
{my husband has always had high hopes for this one!}

i try, really i do, but there is always so much more happening or wanting to happen that i just can't possibly keep up with it all

my feet hit the floor running just about every day


a good friend's daughter had a baby girl - a year ago yesterday...
first grand-child

i wanted to make something special and it wasn't until january of this year i was finally able to do it

i had in my mind an old-fashioned kind of toy, the kind a child might love to drag around, and perhaps even, not go to sleep without

i found a pattern for this adorable rabbit and a full wardrobe to accompany it here



made out of felt, complete with cute little boots and a flowery dress
i had such fun making those boots - i felt like a cobbler of old

the blouse, you can see below...
i still cannot believe i was able to sew that, me, who got 49/100 on her apron in school sewing class

{it became a personal rule not to make things that have to "fit", but i made an exception in this case - doll's clothes are just plain fun!}


 i even knitted a dress
the woollen dress goes over top of the cotton one, kind of like a pinafore


 lengthening the provided fabric dress pattern made a perfect nightgown, and with a little fiddling about, i was also able to muster a matching nightcap


 two pairs of pants and a cape complete the ensemble

{shortening the pants pattern, and using white broderie anglaise fabric, i made the cutest bloomers, shown in the very first photograph}


 to finish the whole thing off, i also included a sweet little pillow and a sleeping bag, which i forgot to photograph but was made out of peter rabbit fabric

the entire rabbit is sewn by hand, all the seams and joining etc.
i was surprised at how quickly it went, and how the fine felted wool makes for a nice sturdy toy


so the baby got her birthing gift a couple of months before her first birthday and now i am behind again... i don't mind so much as alicia, the designer of this cute rabbit and clothes, has been working on a whole menagerie and the patterns will be out by the end of may... a fox, a mouse, a kitten and a doe, complete with new clothes for all

perhaps, if i have enough felt, and push everything else aside, i can make a whole menagerie of critters and clothes and then i'll be ready any birth-days and birthdays that come my way....
that might not be terribly prudent though, but then again,  prudent was february's word...

13 comments:

Wendy said...

what an adorable rabbit, and with a wardrobe better stocked than mine! Organising doesn't come naturally to me either, it's an uphill battle

Dorthe said...

Dear Jillayne,
this present will be forever treasured,if not now of the child, then of the mother, untill she gets bigger.
What a wonderful and lovely gift you made, a total beautiful little rabbit doll,and the sweetest dresses for her.
Hugs from Dorthe

deanna7trees said...

oh that is all so precious and gorgeous at the same time. i love making little things. i will have to check out those patterns. you did a fabulous job and i know there will be oohs and ahhs when that gift is opened.

Mosaic Magpie said...

What a perfect gift you came up with. I can remember a favorite gift of mine as a child...a complete wardrobe for my Barbie doll created by my aunt. I still have some of the outfits! The rabbit just may become a heirloom passed on to her children.
xo
Deb

Marj Talbot said...

This reminds me of a doll I received from my Mother's sister when I was likely 4 or 5. That's a few decades ago now but I still have that doll. It is small, made from thin plastic - all the joints move but the cord holding the limbs together has stretched over the years and needs to be replaced. I still have the petticoat and dress that she made and always thought that one day I'd fix the doll. There's still time - thanks for sharing your lovely rabbit that I hope will be cherished and "saved". It's lovely - especially the knitted dress.

FlowerLady Lorraine said...

What a sweetie and all of the goodies she has. You did a wonderful job with all of it.

FlowerLady

Createology said...

You have created a lovely treasure in this beautiful bunny and her lovely wardrobe. Sew very precious! Organize and timeliness and prudence are all relative and very possibly elusive. I adore those little boots you cobbled. Jillayne Dear I always enjoy your posts so very much. Creative Bliss My Friend...

Janie said...

So darling, I would enjoy playing too.What a fun gift.

Karen said...

What a treasure! Your rabbit will be LOVED!

Deb~Paxton Valley Folk Art said...

Oh my gosh Jillayne, that is adorable! A toy that will be cherished for her entire life, who needs to be organized when you can make such beautiful things from all your bits and bobs :O) Deb

Michelle May-The Raspberry Rabbits said...

LOVE! LOVE! LOVE!!

karen said...

aw......too cute! and the feet??? wonderful image
http://karenannruane.typepad.com/karen_ruane/

Suztats said...

I adore your rabbit and all the clothes you've made for her.....she is much like the Maggie Bunny I bought for little Jewel (DGD)and I have the pattern and wrote about making more family members for Jewel to play with. Time is the thing to find.....