Sunday, April 27, 2014

a good dream?

at a loose end these past few days, in my sewing room

you know, when you wander in and your eyes alight on several things as you gaze around, yet nothing calls out to you...

so i did the responsible, disciplined thing and kept on with this little piece


i tried the white bullion knots, you can see them below...


not so sure about them so i alternated yellow and white in another area - much better
much, much better
and so the white came out 

as i worked away on this my thoughts turned to the one and only other time i worked on a stamped embroidery...

it was a dresser scarf with a basket of flowers at each end, complete with a twirling ribbon, the whole thing edged with scratchy yellow lace

it came in this


my seventh birthday present from my beloved grandmother

in addition to the dresser scarf, there was also a metal embroidery hoop, embroidery threads, scissors and needles

i laboured over it for several years
i remember taking it out every so often, smoothing it's rumpled wrinkles and embroidering a little more

as i was wondering what ever happened to it, a memory began to form, of labouring over it with a sense of urgency, wanting to get it finished 
i have a vague recollection of wanting to give it to my grandmother as a gift
for her birthday, or for christmas, i'm not sure which
i remember being tired of it, wanting it to be finished, one end done and now the other
i remember feeling a satisfaction at the end

i just can't quite remember what happened next...
did i wrap it up and send it off?

or was it only a good dream that i had?

it's one of those memories that refuses to solidify, but regardless of whether or not that's how it ended, i became attached to this little scrap of cloth and thread and so i decided to keep it, as a reminder...

leaving this only partially finished just in case memory is not serving me correctly, i tacked it in my little book and wrote the story of how my sewing box and first embroidery piece came to be

i even left it slightly rumpled



 as i flipped the pages, looking for the right spot for it, i cam across this page - about my first quilt and realized that i hadn't yet written the story of it

this isn't the original, but represents it in shape and colour, the thread wrapped piece to the left is reminiscent of the striped fabric i had used


i have a feeling i am going to really come to love this book, for all the memories it holds dear

next will be beading with jessie...

in the meanwhile, it's all about taupe


i'm embarking on a colour study in subtlety...

surprise, surprise, surprise
 

13 comments:

Tanya @ Bead and Needle said...

Well, I love that book and all the memories it will hold!!! My friend, you amaze and delight me - hope all is well...XOXOXO

Deb~Paxton Valley Folk Art said...

You have more inner fortitude than I Jillayne, when nothing calls to me I usually start on something new! Love the yellow and white bullions and your decision to leave it unfinished as a remembrance of that first stitchery. Your book will become a wonderful remembrance of people and projects past, precious memories!

Mosaic Magpie said...

Your book is becoming a cherished possession and a trip down memory lane!
I had a similar sewing basket....wonder what happened to it???
xo,
Deb

deanna7trees said...

love the story of the basket. i, too, was given a little basket for sewing things by my grandmother. i recently lined it and used it but it is a bit too fragile so now just used for storage. nice that the stories are documented for the future. they will be enjoyed someday by someone who will be remembering.

Marj Talbot said...

I think you will have several books to complete your journal. It can't possibly all fit into one book. It reminds me of the family memory book I made some years ago - over 400 pages of people, occasions, memories - not to mention information that can go forgotten over time.
our journal will be a great memory of your stitching journey. Thanks for sharing.

Janie said...

Beautiful and inspiring work, I really enjoy seeing your process,Jillayne.

Laura said...

I love how many special family treasures you have (and that you are adding to the collection!)
Beautiful post, as always XO

Createology said...

How wonderful that you even still have that wonderful little sewing kit your grandmother gave you at 7 years old. Yes, the yellow and white really is lovely. Your book of memories and treasured bits will be a forever pleasure. As we age and are no longer able to see as well or move our fingers as they once did you will cherish reading every page of your little stitching book. Delightful Bliss Dear...

Michelle May-The Raspberry Rabbits said...

So cool. I love that basket. Your book is a treasure indeed.

Suztats said...

I think the whole idea of your memory book is so cool! The writing of your stories will make it a wonderful treasure.

karen said...

the pages in your little book are exquisite and I am so excited by the pile of cloth!! be still my beating heart....
http://karenannruane.typepad.com/karen_ruane/

JennyPennyPoppy said...

Your book sounds like a wonderful treasure and all of your yellow and white bullions look lovely.

Jesse Rowan said...

Thanks for sharing your imagination and artistic 'process'just like I was standing next to you listening - beautiful work!