Monday, March 3, 2014

wondering why...

yesterday, i made a beginning

pretty petal and fern paper
lace, linen, silk


exactly as i pictured it in my mind, perhaps even a little better
but i think it would have been hard to go wrong with that paper as a base


 today i'll cut it up and take it further


i have a few ideas of what i want to do

 as i look at it, considering where to begin, i find myself wondering about it, about why i had wanted to make it so badly


to me, it's beyond pretty

delicate, frothy, romantic - reminds me of wedding invitations and valentine's

so not me

i like plaids and stripes and wrought iron and stone and driftwood 

stormy skies and rainy days


 so often though, i find much of what i make is light, lacy and delicate - i do adore pretty lace, but i could never live with it


 this morning as i was writing, i wondered why it is i am drawn to making things like this

and i wondered if it's because they bring light into the darkness of my mind...


not that i have a "dark" mind in the usual sense...

rather, i prefer dark things with an edgy feel

so how can i be drawn to something, create with something that really isn't me, and make something i wouldn't dream of keeping because i know from experience that if i did, it would languish in a closet for ever... i would own it, but i wouldn't cherish it

 some days, more than others, that really puzzles me

10 comments:

Mosaic Magpie said...

Maybe it is "opposites attract"???

Marj Talbot said...

But it really is you. See, it all depends on how you look at it. There are many fabrics of the mind and some are set aside for special moments while others dominate. This is a pretty piece of work made even prettier with your stitchery. This is one of those special moments. Thanks for sharing.

deanna7trees said...

you are becoming eclectic but that doesn't mean you want to live with it all on a day to day basis...if i lived with everything i made and enjoyed, i would be living in a very chaotic environment.

Createology said...

I see your needle has been dancing upon your delicious bits of fabric, lace and paper. Savouring the dance of needle and thread joining together...Be still my heart.

Laura said...

My fan wallhanging (from Whitehorse) is another great example of this little quirk of yours, hehe. Very pretty though!

Celestina Marie Design said...

Your talents always amaze. This work is incredible. Love it!
Hugs

karen said...

well you could always mix this with plaids, strips, stripes, greys....???? It's so beautiful it couldn't fail to enhance


http://karenannruane.typepad.com/karen_ruane/

Sandra Foster said...

Love it!

Suztats said...

It's funny, but I, too, never wore lace, flouncy bits, ruffles. But in the last few years, I have been drawn to them. I create lace with my tatting, my embroidery, and they bring me pleasure. Maybe as I age, the softer bits of my personality are letting themselves out. Is it because I now have a granddaughter that I am more attracted to the tender things? Or is it because with age, I am no longer that strong, muscular tomboy I used to be.....but I am fluffier,so maybe I need more softness around me?.....I wonder about these things, but, so far, all my pondering has not produced answers.........

Tina @ TinyBear Studio said...

This is so beautiful Jillayne. This was suppose to be.
Can´t wait to see what you do with it