Thursday, February 27, 2014

and yet more texture...


yep, i'm a texture fiend

i've loved folds and tucks and gathers since i was small, and my favourite book of all things creative is "the art of manipulating fabric" by collette wolff

funny thing is, i haven't made anything out of it yet... rather, i've been stumbling across some wonderful tutorials on the internet

the latest is courtesy of threads magazine:


it's a wonderful tutorial and so very easy to do...


i love the look of ribbon manipulated in this manner, and when i laid it on my work table i realized there seems to be a bit of a recurring theme going on in my mind these days... this ribbon is very reminiscent of the dragon-scale smocking i did a little while ago

the gold version is silk fabric, a long 1" wide strip, cut so the fraying sides of silk are the short ends
it's soft and squishy, can be crushed ever so slightly, or coaxed back into the beautiful tucks and valleys


i also tried it with 1' wide satin ribbon

the ribbon is much stiffer and so gives a definition to the ribbon that the silk just doesn't have - i'd use the ribbon as an edging but the silk would be wonderful within a piece, and could easily be enhanced with embroidery


i chose to use 1" wide strips but this technique works with any width


 i also like how bendy it is... it takes curves like nobody's business, and doesn't lose it's shape


i carefully matched the stitching thread but you can't see any stitches at all; it's as if they aren't even there, like magic

i was looking at my ribbon box the other day, thinking i really must do something with all of it, someday...

i think someday might have finally arrived for a few of them

 and i just saw another tutorial over there, when i was finding the links for this one...

did i mention i may or may not have an addiction????
 

8 comments:

deanna7trees said...

you are an expert manipulator...the good kind...stunning ribbon samples.

suziqu's thread works said...

Hi Jillayne
Thank you so much for sharing these techniques - I haven't tried manipulating ribbon but I'm often playing around with and manipulating fabrics in my own way - perhaps I should look into that book and learn more about "the art of manipulating fabric".
Hope all is going well for you!
Hugs,
Suzy

Wendy said...

that is beautiful, I read this post and instantly I was brimming with idea of what I could do with it! I forget I'm not as skilled as you and my version would look like a piece of crumpled ribbon!

Mosaic Magpie said...

I like how the silk piece looks with your stitching such an organic look to it. The ribbon technique would work as a beautiful blanket edging or maybe even a hem treatment. I do not own the fabric manipulation book but will look for it.

Createology said...

Ahh...another beautiful needle and thread manipulation by your skilled hands dear. This ribbon treatment is stunning. I must try this. Thank you for including the link. I am always in awe of your stitching journey...

Marj Talbot said...

I love the plum colour - what will you use it for? Interesting.

Suztats said...

This looks like such fun!

Laura said...

That looks so cool! I'm impressed! I could see that fitting in somehow on the purses you used to make with ribbon...