Wednesday, January 1, 2014

new...

 new blog header, new post, new ideas, new hopes, new dreams, new year

this time of year suits me just fine; i love beginnings...

i do love reflecting on days past in the quiet of a new year's eve, gazing at the tree lights and wondering at how such fragile things as blown glass ornaments can survive year after year... some of mine are more than 70 years old now... wondering if someone will be looking at them 70 years in the future while pondering their own new year ahead...

continuity is a wonderful thing, but for me, the best part of new year's is the urge to change things up a bit... i'm more about the joy of seeing the sun rise on the next year, knowing there are 365-all-new days ahead

and  so i've been making some plans

 
 more inspiration boards like the one you see in the back of the image above... beginning with one fabric, seeing where colour, design and imagination will take me


adding on to the piece i began in stow-on-the wold last september
my english garden in stitch


more ledger work, a working design idea first learned in karen's class back in 2012, and still my most favourite of all the classes i have taken with her

i'm finally going to use this beautiful brown calendar i purchased a few years back but haven't used yet - too afraid of mucking it up i suppose but i love it and i am determined...

more writing, especially calligraphy, especially with my dip pen from haworth, and even more especially in my beautiful-brown-ledger

another ledger, purchased from john lewis in london, with the first inspiration coming from an oil painting of the yorkshire moors, my most treasured souvenir of the holiday... inspiring a quilt... an english paper-piecing adventure with diamonds


my first diamonds reflect the soft purples... basting them still... deciding whether to mix the fabrics up a lot...

or keeping them the same...

partial stars...


and full ones...

pondering while i baste

early sketches in the book... getting ready to play with the shape, fragment it, stitch it, paint it, thread and fabric, beads, buttons, ribbons... everything yet to be decided... a whole quilt in front of me, all by hand, just beginning...

it's not daunting at all

it is indeed a happy new year


16 comments:

Draffin Bears said...

Happy New Year to you Jillayne and always a lovely time to contemplate the past year and the new year ahead.
Great to see all you inspiration with your new header and the pretty English garden work and the stars - lovely fabrics. Enjoy your calligraphy work with the dip pen - I love to do the same.
Best wishes for a wonderful 2014
hugs
Carolyn

deanna7trees said...

wow...you have some wonderful plans. look forward to seeing them develop. beautiful images as usual.

Deb~Paxton Valley Folk Art said...

Happy New Year dear Jillayne! May it bring you joy, inspiration and many, many happy hours of stitching. Can't wait to see your hand pieced quilt, loving the beginning and the beautiful painting that inspired it. Deb

The French Bear said...

Jillayne, I am so looking forward to seeing what has been inspiring in your creative mind..... I just feel in my heart that this going to be an amazing and incredible year for us....... I have this feeling.... like kindred souls......new and wonderful things will happen!!
Hugs
Mags
xxx

Deborah Quartz said...

Happy New Year to you, I love the beginning of your diamonds for the hand pieced quilt, I love hand pieces and have plans to start one this month. I love the design board in the photo what a great idea.

I look forward to watching how your hand worked quilt unfolds.

Roses, Lace and Brocante said...

I love the work you started in Stow-on-the-Wold, your English garden in stitch – it’s gorgeous! Note to self - I must do Karen’s ledger class one day!
I love that mix of fabrics in the diamonds, the strength of the Prince of Wales check with the softer patterns works beautifully.
You have so much creativity in you Jillayne – my head’s in a spin!!!
I will make more inspiration boards, I want to use up my stash this year rather than keep buying more!

I’m inspired by your enthusiasm for new beginnings – the ideas for your new quilt bubbling away - I can’t wait to see it all unfold this year!
Wishing you ‘health, happiness and JOY in 2014".
Love and blessings
Shane xox

Mosaic Magpie said...

New beginnings are always the nicest of places to be. The freshness of each idea and promise of what will come. Always exciting, full of wonder and surprise. Love the pen and ink photo, I have been trying my hand at fancy script with pens and nibs...a real challenge and one I will need much practice. Love the new header, something I need to do as well.
Stow-On-The-Wold is beautiful, already so interesting. As always your color choices are spot on...one can see at a glance it is Jillayne through and through.True to yourself...got to love it!
xo,
Deb

FlowerLady Lorraine said...

You are such an inspiration to me. Every time I visit I want to create.

I love those fabrics and I think some stars with the different fabrics is really lovely.

Have a wonderful 2014.

FlowerLady

Suztats said...

And so the ideas simmer, then bubble, and burst into form.
I look forward to seeing your plans take shape in 2014. Wishing you and yours a wonderful New Year, Jillayne.
Let the creativity unfold!

Marj Talbot said...

Love the English garden fabrics - can't wait to see more. As to the stars, I like using all the same fabrics - just my opinion. I'm happy for you that you take the time for what is important and gratifying for you and am thankful for all that you share. To you and your followers, Happy New Year and all the best for 2014.

Dorthe said...

Seems you have wonderful dayes, planning and enjoying the feeling of new and old beautiful things in your studio. Your stars are so beautiful in those soft colours, and the ledger will be a beautiful work of art, dear Jillayne.
Happy new year and blessings for you, and yours.
Dorthe, xo

FredaB said...

Jillayne your creativity just jumps off the page. What wonderful enthusism you have. It is catching when I read your blog.
You inspire me.

Hugs
FredaB

Rebecca said...

Jillayne, all so beautiful and inspiring!! Here's to a wide open new year to create and enjoy…let's do this!! :)

Celestina Marie Design said...

Hi Jillayne, to visit you is like jumping onto an inspiration board and walking around!! You are incredible. Best wishes in all you have planned for the new year.
Happy Creating.
Hugs

Createology said...

Your new beginnings are amazing. I adore your new banner and inspiration board. How lovely your stars are taking shape with such subtle fabrics. I am enamored with your desires and goals. Every single thing you do is divine. Wishing you a very Happy New Year Dear...

Laura said...

I love the new header! It's so fresh!!

First thing to write in your calendar: CALGARY. Geoff and I want more soup.

XO