Friday, January 31, 2014

hush...








hush

january's ending and hush is the word

 i may not have posted about it at all this month but it has been much on my mind

words have many meanings, "hush" is no different

"hush" commonly means to make someone quiet, calm, or still

or to put something to rest

i think perhaps i have put something to rest this month... through a lot of work, and a near equal amount of introspection,  a healthy dose of faith and a belief in myself, i think i finally know what i want to be, what i want to do - i've known it for a long time but couldn't accept that it might be ok...

i'm pretty sure i was meant to be an artist

i'm supposed to make things - it's what i do and who i am

i'm slowly but surely cutting things from my life that don't fit with that, that get in the way of it, and establishing habits and processes that will feed it, nurture it and help me find my way

i've never been so happy in my whole life

it really started for me back in september when i met monica in the cotswolds and we spent a wonderful day together, much of it talking about art, creativity, leaps of faith, and trusting ourselves -
she inspired me so very much and those conversations have resounded in my head almost every day since

i finally got tired of wanting it and have started just doing it, making plans, big dreams, bigger ideas, moving in the right direction, taking those first steps, tentatively, walking fast now, getting ready to run

so here's january's heart...

a soft grey-blue and cream batik heart appliqued on to a raw silk background, fragments of old lace tacked on - it may look like one piece of lace, but it isn't... embroidery is next, adding another layer, all the colours soft and gentle

quiet, soft, gentle; taking small things, making a whole; joining them, healing them

new beginnings, new hearts

{one thing monica mentioned in her last post was she was going to start her blog posts with the pictures first and then the text following to make reading easier... i've been toying with that same idea for a bit and thought i would try it here - what do you think?  }

9 comments:

Monica said...

I love it that you have made room for acceptance... of who you are and what you're meant to do in this life; for the fact that's perfectly fine, and there's nothing wrong in that... for those quiet moments that bring clarity and joy. Next step, water the seed!
xoxo

Shirley said...

Good Morning Jillayne, I loved reading your blog this morning. I am trying to catch up with friends. I always enjoy seeing what you are doing. I love your heart. Have a wonderful weekend. Hugs and Prayers from Your Missouri Friend.

Suztats said...

Sometimes our art reflects our inner struggles, and your heart, with its fragments of lace, being pieced, and being made whole, and stitched upon as layers of self evolving is a wonderful analogy. Are the colours muted because you are not yet ready to yell out just who you are? Or are they so to allow the soft building, stitch by stitch, of the fibers to strengthen your resolve?
Jillayne, I have always thought you an artist! Your artistry with words, with creating from bits and pieces, your eye for detail all pull me into your blog, and hold me captive. I am mesmerized. How joyful the new journey will be!

Marj Talbot said...

The heart is very nice and I'm pretending to know all the stitches that you will use with it. So good to hear that you are enjoying your time for yourself - putting number one first. You are an artist and definitely a terrific writer. Personally, I liked the pictures throughout your post - it was like chapters in a great book. It is however your blog and I delight in reading it however you put it together. Thanks tons.

Connie Eyberg Originals said...

I love the connotations of your word 'hush' and I believe your philosophy is right on. I have always thought of you as an artist and you should be quite comfortable with that direction. Love the heart by the way, even without stitching.

karen said...

please dream your dreams Jillayne. I very much want them to happen for you. Hush is a perfect name for this....it is gentle....and quiet.
http://karenannruane.typepad.com/karen_ruane/

Createology said...

Jillayne Dear you are an Artist and your Heart is as gentle as the word "hush". Your art with needle and thread and paper and words and pen/computer are a gift you already share with us. I am so happy that you are realizing just how special an Artist you are! May you continue your journey of refining your art and yourself as the true Artist you are my friend. Blessings...

Mosaic Magpie said...

I think there are times that God places people in our paths that help show us the way. The words they speak or even their gentle encouragement, touches our heart and allows our soul to sing. As the others have said, I have always thought of you as an artist. With words and stitching your beauty and creativity shine through.
As you think in your heart, so shall you be.
xo

Deb~Paxton Valley Folk Art said...

So very happy for you Jillayne that you have found your bliss and are allowing yourself to follow that path. You are indeed an artist, your work is breathtaking and your words sublime! Wishing you all the success and support in the world! Deb P.S. Liking the pictures first!