Thursday, November 7, 2013

missing...


this will be the last post about my trip... the recap if you will

i need to focus forward for a while - the sale is in less than a month and I am waaaaaay behind
{the once-a-year sale of my creations thatI have at my house for my good friends}

and if i am being truthful, thinking about england and scotland so much makes me sad

i miss it...


i didn't think i'd like london so much - but i loved it

the beauty


the pride watching this kid race his heart out in the shadow of amazing grandeur


sitting in westminster abbey, listening to an organ recital, marveling at a stained glass window honouring canada's lord strathcona, and then realizing that when he was doing his thing, my family had not yet emigrated, they still lived in england and in scotland

and that was when i first felt like a child adopted by canada that had just met her birth-parent


finding the places that inspired those who inspire me


wandering about a place where people have wandered for millenia


facing that same wuthering wind that moved three sisters to write stories that charmed the world


stood at the side of the tay river in perth, scotland, with the man who comes from canada's perth that has it's very own tay river, and thought about how homesick those early canadians must have been


climbing above my level of comfort to pay tribute to a man who only wanted freedom


marveling at a how green-brown the creeks are, and why "burn" is such an appropriate name


going home again, for my family...
the ones that came before


wondering why we do the things we do


seeing for myself places that have inspired and become symbols of greater things



and oddly enough, wonderfing how it is, that in every b & b throughout england and scotland, in every hotel, from london through the midlands to inverness, out to kyle, in cormwall and in kent

wherever we went

i was plagued by this


the tiniest garbage can, in every bathroom

the pedal was so small, it barely fit my big toe

they held next to nothing

they were always stuck in the most awkward to get at place that required contortionist movements, never mind the issue of trying to step on the teeny tiny pedal with one toe and enough force to open the darn thing

margaret in inverness somehow mustered up a dainty pink version but that didn't make up for the sadly-lacking-in-design problem 

after a while it became almost an obsession - it was the first thing i looked for when we checked in to a new place

i put a tube of toothpaste on top so you could get an idea of scale
{note - this is a small tube!}


how lucky i am to have had a five week holiday and this be the only drawback... how exceptionally lucky

the last day, we left stow on the 6:30 bus to moreton, to catch the 7:10 to london
the fog so thick you could hardly see across the street

it was still dark when we caught the train and as we sped along, the sky began to lighten, to turn the most unbelievable shade of wine,,, deep crimson - i have never seen the like of it

deep purply-red, with the stark black of the trees, a perfect silhouette

by the time it lightened to a grey-mauve, the fog and rain rolled in, and the scenery faded again

it was if the country was drawing back from me

from paddington to heathrow on the express, the buildings were a misty blur, indistinct still, nothing to see, and then as we came out of the elevator, to go into the terminal, i saw this


it was a good good-bye



14 comments:

Marc said...

Like Arnold said,

"We"ll be back !! "

Deb~Paxton Valley Folk Art said...

I envy you your wonderful homecoming Jillayne, savour every memory. Deb

Brynwood Needleworks said...

The older I get, the more I'm drawn back to the place of my birth. Perhaps someday - sooner, rather than later.
Thanks you for sharing your photographs and moving words, Jillayne. You're an inspiration.
xo
Donna

Marj Talbot said...

No one enjoys reading your well written stories or seeing your photos more than me. Thanks tons for sharing your memorable trip - I appreciate the time it takes from your busy schedule. Good luck with your sale.

Wendy said...

I just wanted to reassure you that it's not just B&Bs that have them. We have one in our bathroom too. It's the law.

So glad you enjoyed our isles.

Createology said...

I have enjoyed your trip through your eyes and descriptions. Life is a journey as I hear and you have had a journey like none other. Back to your family roots must be such a heartwarming life altering journey. Blessings dear. Now...onward to your fabulous sale. Creative Bliss...

Bead and Needle said...

It was a good goodbye to a FABULOUS trip - thanks for taking me along. The trash can killed! Happy Friday, Jillayne...XOXO

deanna7trees said...

such wonderful memories and you were so kind to share it with us.

Suztats said...

A part of me feels that I, too, travelled those wonderful places by your side, and visited my own history. (My maternal grandmother was a war bride, raised and born in London) I have not traveled home to meet the spirits of my ancestors.......but I have glimpsed the beauty of England through your posts. Thank you.

Mosaic Magpie said...

Thank you for sharing your trip with us. You allowed us to see parts of the world most of us will never see. Have fun preparing for your sale!
Deb

BumbleVee said...

Wow.... lots of good times and great photos Jill....I'm so glad you had fun and seem to have really enjoyed your time there...

I'm from England too... Yorkshire born.... been here since I was only 2 .... I know my poor Mom missed it terribly...

karen said...

yipee!!! You love England....me too!! But don't say horrible things about our bathroom bins...they're cute!!!
http://karenannruane.typepad.com/karen_ruane/

FlowerLady Lorraine said...

What a wonderful post! No wonder you are sad. You have some beautiful memories though and they are priceless.

I looked you up today because I'd not seen anything from you and got my answer. I hope your crafting and your sale go very well for you.

Happy Creating ~ FlowerLady

JennyPennyPoppy said...

A wonderful and moving post Jillayne. Thank you for sharing so much of your trip, your thoughts and feelings and wonderful photos.