Tuesday, August 20, 2013

traveling lightly

hand-stitching is back on the menu...

i've been making some progress on this latest piece, filling in empty spaces, adding layers of stitch,
covering raw edges

it's starting to really come together now

i think it's the layering that does the trick

along with pretty stitches traveling lightly along raw edges and seams

trailing and dancing and skipping along


but then again, there's the blended needle too

where you combine either different types of thread, or different colours

i'm playing with white and blue - such a soft effect

especially with the french knots i used to fill in the centre of the star



the patch on the top has only white knots, the line below has white, and white with blue... still more to be done here


 an idea is already percolating for the next piece... i'm thinking three squares/sections, oriented vertically and finished into a small wall hanging... i'm thinking...


i have fours days off in a row this week

so excited

planning and scheming on what's to be done... a few must-do's, and a few want-to's

perhaps some new walking shoes...

three weeks until we leave on our trip and the lists are getting longer

packing isn't an issue as i love to travel light, easy wear clothes and a little art kit

and as I am thinking of all i can do without while we travel around on our five week grand tour, i am wanting to extend that feeling to the rest of my life, to where i live, and most of all, to where i create

i set myself a goal of fifty things per week to leave this house

for the next three weeks

that means i would come home to 150 less things to manage, to make space for, to clean, to tidy, to dust

sounds like a lot doesn't it

150 things that i don't use, love or need

i started gathering the first week's lot the other day, truly looking at things, contemplating their actual usefulness versus their desired usefulness - i love the ideal of certain things... of wearing a brilliantly coloured scarf, carrying a funky, trendy bag, sewing with purple fabric

but the reality is i don't, i won't and i wouldn't

would you?


19 comments:

Karen B. said...

Jillayne ... WOW I love your latest work ~ it is just beautiful!! You should teach your beautiful quilting and embroidery! I would be the first to sign up!
Many hugs,
Karen B. ~ Todolwen

oldgreymare said...

you know you're preaching to the choir at Z's right? lol I'm still purging- still loving it

Angela Richardson said...

Your work is beautiful as always and I love the idea of the 50 things a week leaving the house. That's a great way to de clutter.

Only three weeks to go to your trip, I can't wait for us to meet at Knitting and stitching.

Have fun,
Angela.x

Diane Kelsey said...

Need to buy your boots ASAP so that you can break them in before your holiday. Don't throw away in haste, you might see something inspirational in the UK and need just that item. Do you know what day you will be visiting the Knitting and Stitch show in London?

Marj Talbot said...

Seems like when you throw something away you suddenly find a use for it. Things are replaceable so if you don't, won't or wouldn't, then it likely should go. It's a fun thing to purge and "empty" things out.
Love the stitching, thanks for sharing this piece.

The French Bear said...

Beautiful work Jillayne, love the soft blue....you have done so much. Did you receive my email? I sent a big thank you for my book, I am in awe of how much detail and work you did!!!! My email was from my "margaretwomacks" account so maybe it went to the junk filter......I'll resend it through the FBear one.
I am always collecting bits and bobs of fabric and lace. I just love the feel of some fabrics, they bring a certain peace to one's heart.....
Hugs,
Mags
xx

deanna7trees said...

i used to but not so much anymore since i'm retired. it's hard to let go of things you've become attached to even if you don't use them...but it must be done. i've been doing that as well. am i right that you decided to play with us in ss2? thought i saw your name listed.

Mosaic Magpie said...

The lovely great "Toss Out"....I no sooner send things out, I wish for them back. But, that being said, you are right a good clean out does a world of good for us. Fifty things a week is a lofty goal and a bit exuberant for me... but good luck to you!
Get your new shoes today and start wearing them...comfortable shoes are a must! You have lots of walking and collecting in the near future...wait, now I get the 50 things out rule...you are going to bring 150 things home you! Good plan, Sister!
Deb

Suztats said...

Gorgeous stitching, and a soft, gentle cloth evolving......
150 things in 3 weeks-wow! I understand the need to simplify, clear out, discard those things not loved and used.....having just moved, I've spent the last 3 years doing that. We have to examine our inner selves to discard those ideas we carry of who and how we might like to be, and balance them with who and how we actually are....you expressed it so beautifully.
It's like playing dress-up, isn't it? We try on outfits to see if they suit us, to 'be' someone else, and we hold onto those ideas and those things, thinking perhaps we may one day become that other person........but once we love and accept ourselves as we are, we have no further need of those trappings....and letting them go is so therapeutic. Have fun.

suziqu's thread works said...

I could never tire of your magnificent stitching Jillayne. I love that beautiful star!
Oh an exciting trip to look forward to!
Are you meeting up with Angela?
I love your goal of letting 50 things leave your home for the the week. I think I could almost manage that myself.
I always have more projects in my head than I will ever be able to create so time to let some of these materials go that have been with me now for some years.
Thanks for the prompting dear friend.
Happy gathering!
xSuzy

Dorthe said...

Dear Jillayne,
your star piece is so very beautiful, I love the soft blue and white and your gorgeous stitching!!
About your throwing out, I just don`t think I could do that here, yes in my studio, I could, and should ,-and I will as I`m to close my shop, this december,last--and many things has to go!! but in my home,-it would be such a difficult thing to do!! Very needed in some folks eyes, I`m sure,-- but mine love almost every thing here ,LOL.
Hugs and happy letting go !!
Dorthe, xo

Shirley said...

Hi Jillayne, I know I am late visiting you, but I have been a little busy working on a custom order and visiting the nursing home each day for a while. I love your embroidering and I am guilty of making my own variations of thread when I want to give it a different look. I will be looking forward to pictures of your trip and wish someway I could be a stowaway. Have a wonderful time. Hugs and Prayers from Your Missouri friend.

Alisa Noble said...

So much glorious texture!

150 things... such a great idea. Good luck with it, Jillayne.

Alisa Noble said...

So much glorious texture!

150 things... such a great idea. Good luck with it, Jillayne.

FredaB said...

Good for you Jillayne. 50 things a week. I wonder if I could manage that - I have to start somewhere and maybe that is a goal to look to.

The blue with the white is lovely. So soft.

Hugs
FredaB

Michelle May-The Raspberry Rabbits said...

I am in love with that star. Of course I have many things around my home that you have stitched. Each is so beautiful. My oldest niece tried to steal the heart you made me. I have it hanging on the doorknob in the guest room.
Hugs and have fun on your trip! :)

Pam Kellogg said...

Oh my! What a beautiful blog you have and such a lovely embroidery project! This is gorgeous!

Pam

JennyPennyPoppy said...

Your design, stitching and pictures are all lovely. Very nice soft look to your piece and I'm sure it will look wonderful as a wall hanging.

Createology said...

Oh my heavens...50 things per week! I don't think I even throw out 50 pieces of real trash each week. You are ambitious. I understand the idea and I agree with simplicity being very freeing. Your cloth is gorgeous dear...