Friday, August 16, 2013

quenching a thirst

seems lately as if my life has been about quenching all manner of thirsts...

thirst for adventure, thirst for understanding and contentment, thirst for organization and structure, thirst for creativity, thirst for knowledge

today i read up on oxford university, and cambridge

robert louis stevenson

i organized my sewing room a little more

and made myself a travel journal...


 a little larger than is wise for hauling around the countryside, but as we are going to be on the go for five weeks, and as i have such varied interests, it's as big as it needs to be


i had it in my head to use my yukon tartan for the covers: sky blue, gold, fireweed pink and forest green, but it was just far too colourful for me

so i settled on the red and black tartan of calgary, alberta, where both our children live


pages are comprised of cardstock, fabric, watercolour paper, drawing paper, writing paper, acrylic-paint paper, and fabric...

isn't the texture of this fabric gorgeous!?!
i am already dreaming of embroidering on this...


 hand-made flower petal paper and diamond embossed card-stock
(kind reminds me of argyle socks in a weird sort of way)


 a christmas card from a kindred spirit and sometimes travelling partner


 pretty floral paper that reminds me english chintz


coarse woven linen, with decorative machine stitching to join the two pieces along the top edge


 the sides and bottom edge are left open for now so i can add whatever embroidery or needlework i like and, once completed, i'll stitch those edges closed



there are three fabric signatures and i chose a different stitch for each one


 lined card-stock


now to gather embroidery threads, needles and small scraps of linen and lace

although i do hope to find some along the way that can also be incorporated


 various sized envelopes to attach to a few of the pages, perfect for tucking in the small scraps and bits of things i seem to collect along the way

and a rusty tin maple leaf to remind me of home


i have a little more work to do on it before it's ready and that will be one more thing off mt list

yes, i'm still listing things, but i have separated them out for daily and weekly and in order of importance - helps immensely

slowly making headway with changing how i spend my days... i have learned i need the same structure for each day, not "this way for days when i work" and "that way for days when i don't"

i have learned my best creative time is early in the morning, and my best computer time is early in the evening - normally i work exactly the opposite but i am going to switch them around

this week i also tried formal meditation for the first time - i think i'm hooked! 

beginning slowly, and in a small way but i am already feeling the benefits and they are said to be huge... evening seems to be the best time for that as well, but i would like to try early morning before i decide

finally, i bought a book of poems last week and just as i got it out to type a poem for you, i noticed the title of the book...
 
'thirst"
by mary oliver
 
i suppose it has stuck in my head even though i didn't realize it
 
i bought it for this poem:
 
when i am among the trees
 
when i am among the trees,
especially the willows and the honey locust,
equally the beech, the oaks, and the pines,
they give off such hints of gladness.
i would almost say that they save me, and daily.
 
i am so distant from the hope of myself,
in which i have goodness, and discernment,
and never hurry through the world
but walk slowly, and bow often.
 
around me the trees stir in their leaves
and call out, "stay awhile."
the light flows from their branches.
 
and they call again, "it's simple," they say,
"and you too have come
into the world to do this, to go easy, to be filled
with light , and to shine"
 


10 comments:

Draffin Bears said...

Hi Jillayne,

Your travel book is gorgeous and I love all the attention to detail that has gone into this.
what fun it will be filling up with all your travel treasures and imagine away for five weeks you will have a nice collection.

Enjoy the weekend
hugs
Carolyn

Createology said...

Thirst and this poem are very timely for me today. I spent some time organizing my studio and some insurance files. This afternoon I hand watered at the pond and then sat on the bench and truly listened to the breeze in the trees...it was magical! Your travel journal is lovely and the way you have personalized the pages yet left room for unexpected delights is pure bliss. Each detail you have included is just like you...perfect! Happy Planning Dear...

deanna7trees said...

your journal is just beautiful. i love that toile on the inner side of the cover...and so many beautiful details within. nice to hear you have started meditating. it took me a long time to feel like i was successful at it but it was so worth the effort. it's been 40 years since i started. enjoy your travels. hope to see what your journal looks like when you return.

Dorthe said...

Dear Jillayne,
your new traveling friend is just gorgeous, so many beautiful papers and fabric`s you have used, I know it will be a fantastic piece of memories from your 5 weeks travel..Lucky you !!!
The way of planning the dayes is alwayes difficult for me, I think many things pops up, here, so all plans are thrown away... but I try to find time for all I love to do... next year when I close my shop for good, there will be more time for walking,playing sewing and gardening.. for my own sake, and not for the custumers !!! :-)))
Hugs to you dear and a wonderful vacation !!

Suztats said...

The poem "when i am among the trees" is beautiful! It speaks to me of feeling tiny in their shadow, but buoyed in their presence, of the tinkling of leaves and whispers to simplify, absorb, be still, but to not be small in myself- to be all I can be, to speak with my own voice.... Thank you for sharing it with me.
Your journal is wonderful, and shall, I'm sure, be filled with beautiful memories of your new adventure. May your thirst never be slaked.

Mosaic Magpie said...

The journal...oh my filled already with such meaning and treasure. I enjoyed the poem especially
"never hurry through the world

but walk slowly, and bow often"

wow what a lesson to be learned with that!
Deb

Marj Talbot said...

Love your journal and all the fabrics/papers you chose for it. Mostly I love that you are putting your maple leaf pin inside. I have an old one similar to that and it will go into the next journal that I make. Thanks for sharing this idea and the poem which I enjoyed reading.

Tina @ TinyBear Studio said...

Your travel journal is wonderful Jillayne. Love all the details. Can´t wait to see what you do with the fabric pages.

karen said...

you have created an absolutely beautiful journal.....I only hope England lives up to it!! I bet you are so excited....
http://karenannruane.typepad.com/karen_ruane/

Monica said...

This is amazing! I so love the red cover, I have a thing for tartan myself! I have created a few tartan journals for myself too, but unfortunartely they're in storage :( They have been there for 2 1/2 years now :(( but I hope to see them soon!! They are perfect for the English countryside.
It will be fabulous here in September! Where you're going to stay when you are here?
xoxo