Monday, July 15, 2013

like it or not


lately i have been working a lot with white, and while down here in sisters, oregon i found a few pieces of lovely white cloth

the one on the left is a vintage hand towel
 {the more i look at it the more I wonder if i will ever bring myself to cut it up} 
the three to the left are new fabrics purchased at the local quilt shop


perfect for adding texture and interest and great to have in my stash

below is the piece i started so i could practice some embroidery without being attached to how it would turn out

yeah right.... that's exactly why this piece got started - i got too attached to the last one


and now it seems i'm facing the same dilemma with this one

i managed to get two bits of embroidery added before I started planning what this could be... four more sections of woven strips and then a few of appliqu├ęd flowers using the torn strips i ended up with from getting the fabric even enough - kind of like a ragged chenille kind of idea - and it would be a beautiful lap quilt...


lazy daisy flowers with straight stitches and French knots

and feather stitch below


so here i am again, wanting to stitch and afraid of messing something up....

but today a new idea was born

the quilt shop here in sisters has a most definite modern slant

in fact, if you ever wondered what comprised a modern quilt, you need simply to walk through their doors and you will be in no doubt

colour... bright, wild, wonderful colour is the first thing you'll notice

the fat quarter pack below is my souvenir - saturated colour in all it's glory


not my style at all, but a great way to get a push out of my comfort zone

and today, an idea that began as a suggestion...

i don't very often have a sounding board, but today I was telling my s-i-l {sister in love, in case you missed my last post} how stuck I have been feeling, when she suggested i use some of these bright colourful fabrics, which i like but don't love, to make a base for embroidery

and using brightly coloured embroidery threads to match...

tomorrow we head home, and as the miles go whizzing by, I'll be plotting and planning a new, bright colourful piece

oddly enough, one i hope i won't like very much!








8 comments:

Angela Richardson said...

Those bright colours are alien to me too but I understand the need to be pushed out of the comfort zone.
To that end I'm starting a full time, three year course in September, eeek!!
I'm sure you will do a great job with and create something wonderful.
Angela.x

FlowerLady Lorraine said...

I absolutely love that muted piece you are working on.

Bright colors can be shocking, but I know you will create something truly wonderful with them and am looking forward to seeing what you do.

Thank you for being an inspiration to me.

Love and hugs ~ FlowerLady

Karen B. said...

I know you will make something beautiful from those bright pieces and you will love it too.

I just love your embroidery work ~ it is beautiful!

Many hugs
Karen B. ~ Todolwen

Shirley said...

Hi Jillayne, Your pieces are always so adorable to look at and I know the feeling about being in a comfort zone. You are scared to do something different or at least I am for fear I will mess it up. I have faith in you that you will make something beautiful with your bright colors and you might just like it enough to try it again. I pinned a couple of pictures from your previous post. I love the scenery and it is my way of traveling. Have a wonderful day. Hugs and Prayers from Your Missouri Friend.

Marj Talbot said...

Bright colours are not my favourite either - looking forward to see what you do with them.
Drive safe - hope to see you soon.

Mosaic Magpie said...

I love those colors! Looks like watermelon, orange sherbet and other yummy stuff. Bright colored threads worked on them will brighten the winter days ahead....95 degrees here and I am dreaming of winter!
Deb

Createology said...

Your new fat quarter bundle is definitely out of your comfort zone...however I think they may very well bring you "over to the bright side"! Cut, tear and embroider away my dear...don't like any of it until you are completed...then LOVE it!!!
Your weaving cloth is divine with your beautiful embroidery work. Fabulous new whites for your masterpieces. Safe Travels Home Dear...

lynn said...

hiya jillayne
i really love this , and i think that a lap quilt is a great idea.. and i think it will go lovely with my living room.. lol
especially the touches of your daisies and french knots.. my favorite stitch.. the bright colors will be good too.. hearts always come to my mind.. thank you for always showing us your creations and giving us inspiration.
hope you are having a great week
big ladybug hugs
xoxo
lynn