Monday, July 29, 2013

how do you dine...

 in the summertime?

it's hot here, in salmon arm, b.c.

day after day, hot and sunny - lovely weather really but oh so hot in the kitchen...

tonight we feasted on fresh corn, potatoes, asparagus and yellow beans

that's it, that's all

and it was oh so good


fresh raspberries for dessert

it was the kind of meal we used to have when visiting marc's family in ontario in august

those hot, sultry ontario days... dinner was simple, corn and fresh homemade bread

sometimes granny's potato salad - sometimes not

often just the corn and the bread

when i was a child visiting my own grandparents in prince george, summer dinners were swiss chard, new potatoes and barbecued pork-chops, my grandmother and i picking the swiss chard just around 5:00 p.m.

with stewed raspberries and vanilla ice cream for after

always, always... always, and i thought, forever

last week i picked my own raspberries

for the very first time

and played with photographing them


fiddling with a piece of white poster-board, trying to get the right look

i swear i could have painted them faster


i love the irregularity of summer meals, the freedom


 the ease and simpleness of it

letting one thing shine...

what's your favourite?

8 comments:

FredaB said...

This takes me back to all the summers we wold come home to Ontario and spend time at my in-laws home on Lake simcoe. grandpa was a great gardener and had a beatiful English garden that people would drive to see. They had raspberry bushes in the back garden and the kids and Grandma would pick the fresh raspberries for dessert. Great memories that money cannot buy (like Karen says).

Hugs
FredaB

Hugs

Mosaic Magpie said...

My grandmother always had strawberries she had picked. She would keep them in the freezer so all year long we had a taste of summer.
Deb

Marj Talbot said...

Pork chops and fresh homemade bread - nothing better. My favourite fruit I would have to say is blueberries.

Createology said...

Fortunately we are eating a bit less in the summer heat. Tonight was fresh strawberries and ice cream and cookies for Mr. C and for me cottage cheese and fresh strawberries. Yum! No fresh garden for us though. Your dinners sound wonderful dear...

karen said...

those raspberries look so yummy! They're a favourite of ours too....
http://karenannruane.typepad.com/karen_ruane/

BumbleVee said...

I love raspberries ......'specially in scones.... mmmmm....mmmust get me some.....

karen said...

just poppped back to check up on you and your raspberries are making me hungry all over again!
http://karenannruane.typepad.com/karen_ruane/

Wendy said...

wow, this post did confuse me until I googled "corn". This is what corn is to me:

http://www.reallywildbirdfood.co.uk/straight-seeds-and-poultry-products/poultry-products-5-33/

I was a bit perplexed that you were eating birdseed!!