Thursday, June 13, 2013

thud!

that's just the sound of me finally coming back to earth, off the high of the past week

what a great quilt show we had - so much inspiration... my fingers started twitching halfway through and by the time i left i had already planned my next three quilts
('cepting of course, all the ones i have started and really need to finish!)

i have to admit though, my first stop was to the merchant's mall... i knew my favourite online shop would have a booth and i was hoping they would bring some of their fabulous yarn-dyed cottons - and they did not disappoint me at all

(the stack in the back followed me home)


as did these beautiful embroidery threads.. .dmc is all we have around here and these beauties are like water in the desert to me... now they have my fingers twitching like mad!


and that my friends was all i bought

but it was more than enough - between these beautiful fabric and threads i will have more fun this summer than i did the summer i was four and could buy licorice as long as my two arms put together

and finally i have some pictures of my not-really-quite-finished quilt...


i'm starting to like it again - sounds odd, but the construction was done in such a different way - each section, on it's own, made up as i went - no plan, no sketch, no preliminary design - it just grew, section by section, notion by notion

and then the day came when i had to join it all together, trying to decide on a layout....
and once i got that done i was surprised at how different it all looked, together

i had only seen each section as a stand-alone piece and found when they were all put together, they seemed somehow to get lost... then i was afraid i hadn't decided well - designer angst i suppose

but when i saw it hanging at the show i saw that it all fit, and everything was in the best place it could be

and i had done alright

 i still have much seam embellishing to do (a la crazy-quilting) and a few other details to add as well

with projects like this, every idea, every stitch, leads to another
i know at some point i will just have to pronounce it done, but not quite yet


 i still want to add some hand-quilting details, where they will show

a special ornament
{i think it might be modeled after the one we bought in  north pole, alaska at santa claus'  house on our honeymoon}



 and some lacy, embroidered holly berries to go on here


 still trying to decide if the stockings should have hanging loops....


 and so it goes - the joys of designing your own quilt are that you can do whatever you like, the challenge is knowing when you're done!

i'm letting it hang out in the back bedroom for a few days while i ponder it all... and in the meanwhile, my thud back to reality happened with a vengeance today when i finally really looked at my surroundings after the past month of being focused only on my quilt.... and was confronted with a very thick layer of dust - and i mean thick!

so today instead of playing with my new fabrics and threads, i have been dusting and vacuuming and doing my spring cleaning... and i'll be doing more of it tomorrow... and likely on my next day off as well - time to pay the piper

and in all that spring cleaning, purging, sorting and tidying, i sorted through all my projects on-the-go and made a plan for them too


first is the christmas books
and the plan is for them to be finished by the end of the first week in july, mailed by the 10th

then we go to sisters, oregon to visit family and see the famous quilt show

then back home for two months.... and then.... we go to....

i'll be back tomorrow with that story!

10 comments:

Brynwood Needleworks said...

Hi Jillayne:
I love what you purchased at the show, and I'm crazy about your nearly-finished quilt! Truly a lovely work of art, my friend.

I actually love spring cleaning...I find things I forgot I had! Be well, my friend.
xo
Donna

Angela Richardson said...

Hi Jillayne,
I often find the traders stands at a quilt show the most inspiring.
Who can resist the lure of beautiful threads and fabric????
Theses look like Valdani threads which are so beautiful to use
and in such glorious soft colours.
Thanks for your comment on my blog.
Happy stitching,
Angela.x

Suztats said...

I think you restrained yourself admirably at the merchants' mall!
Your goodies look wonderful!
I do like the idea of having the stockings hang from the embellishment above...it will anchor them, I think. At least that's how it looks in the pics......

Mosaic Magpie said...

Oh the beloved vendors mall, where visions of new projects dance in our heads. That is always where I spend the majority of my time at quilt shows....hence my ample supply of stash!
Your whitework is stunning and I am certain if you continue to study it you will all sorts of things to add...when would it end? I love that little noel patch!
xo,
Deb

Diane Kelsey said...

You certainly did some shopping and must have emptied the piggy bank. In the UK we able able to purchase such wonderful threads quite easily. The shows are like being in a sweetie shop.

Becca said...

Oh those threads are wonderful! Looks like you've been busy...love the quilt...it will be gorgeous!

Draffin Bears said...

Hi Jillayne,

How wonderful your Noel quilt is and love the sweet stockings, stars and hearts.
Also how gorgeous your new fabrics and threads are and that is going to keep you busy.
Happy belated birthday to your husband and how interesting that our husbands both share the 6th of June date.

Happy weekend
hugs
Carolyn

Celestina Marie said...

Hi Jillayne,
Love all your goodies from the show. Looks like lots of fun on the way.
Your quilt is stunning. The final steps to finish are always the most challenging. Your work is amazing.

Thank you for your kind comment on my last post. You will always be an inspiration to me.
Happy weekend
Hugs!

Createology said...

Jillayne I am in awe of your glorious white lace quilt and each element you have so carefully thought out and stitched. I like your idea of little loops to "hang" the stockings and then they would be ready for Santa to fill with treasures. Fun additions to your stash. I got a few bits and pieces at our local quilt show...just because I could. May you continue to create such masterpieces my dear...

Lynn Holland said...

I'm so thrilled to see your quilt and to have found your blog. I've put it on my reading list. Hope you have a wonderful time in Scotland. If you get to Lancashire be sure to let me know I will put the kettle on.
Lynn :)