Sunday, June 2, 2013

this may well be mine....

mine... yes...

my what, you may ask???


 if i were an artist of old, i would tell you this just might well be my life's work

everything i have ever loved about needlework is here: linen, lace, patchwork, embroidery

everything i have ever learned has brought me to this


 i can't tell you it's been easy though

well, the stitching and piecing is easy; it's the colour and stitch selection that gets me from time to time

too light, too dark, too pink, too white, too small, too big, too plain

sometimes i would rip out a section two or three times until i got it "right"


 today i have been patiently sewing it all together - and a very tedious process it is

which may turn out to be a good thing as it has provided me with a lot of time to think about what happens next - what quilting to do where, what seams need embellishment and what ones need to be left alone

communing with my quilt

and pondering what you see below....

karen calls this sort of thing an opportunity -a chance to add something interesting

something that wouldn't have been there otherwise - if all the parts had fit that is


i call it a royal pain

we shall see who is right
(personally, for what it's worth, i'd put my money on her...)

i have to hand my quilt in wednesday evening so in the words of jack bauer, i'm going dark for a while

i have probably already earned the distinction of bad blogger of the year over these past few weeks

but it will be a while before i'll be around to see what you have been up to, and to respond to all the wonderful comments you continue to leave me 

beautiful, thoughtful comments that i hardly deserve after neglecting all of you so much lately
so thank you very much for your patience, and i promise i will be around soon!

in the meanwhile, i'll be back with one last post about about a very special section i'm working on, and then on the weekend with the completed quilt

fingers crossed!

13 comments:

lynne logue said...

Jill this is so wonderful! I'm sorry but I had an "oh nooooo..." giggle when I saw the space!! No doubt you will figure it out but let me know as I have this nightmare too. Karen will be so proud as you should be. What an accomplishment-this is a work of love. Can't wait to see it completed or in whatever condition this is in for the quilt show.

Diane Kelsey said...

The work is stunning and I'm sure that the photographs don't do your work justice. I have been collecting fabrics to making a lovely hand stitched piece of work one day all in white. But at the moment it will have to wait and I will just have to continue to admire yours and Karen's work. Looking forward to seeing your finished quilt.

FlowerLady Lorraine said...

You will fill in that space with something just right, exquisite and delicate. Your work is so lovely and inspiring.

Enjoy your stitching.

Love and hugs ~ FlowerLady

Karen B. said...

Sweet Jillayne ... you are an artist! It is beautiful!.. and I can't wait to see it when it is done your quilt.
Many hugs and much love,
Karen B. ~ Todolwen

Mosaic Magpie said...

I do see this as an opportunity...in your hands that tiny rectangle will become a little glimpse of what is next on your horizon. The ending of this creation and the beginning of a new. Your inner muse will guide you and I think you have her sitting right on your shoulder with this piece. I can feel the happiness and contentment you have found.
xo,
Deb

Alisa Noble said...

Oh, I cannot wait to see the whole of it finished!
It's already so beautiful, Jillayne!

Createology said...

I can see and read and feel the greatness in your work as you create each section and stitch them together. An artist answers only to the call of creating art...not to the demands of blogging or commenting and with that said, "You are not a bad blogger!" You are a very special artist who is creating her finest masterpiece!!! Breathtaking...

oldgreymare said...

crossed they are..but hurry up- I'll get a cramp :D

Suztats said...

Can't wait to see what you create for that 'opportunity'! I just know it'll be fabulous, and layered with love.

Marj Talbot said...

Oh NO!! I bet you have something special for that space. No you are not a bad blogger at all - a very good blogger. I just wish you'd blog more often - I love to read them and see what you're doing. Of course I have a lot more time on my hands than you do so we're lucky you blog as often as you do. I'm sure I speak for everyone - thanks so much for sharing your projects. I also can't wait to see the whole finished project. Exquisite will be the least I'm sure.

Dorthe said...

Dear Gillayne,
Your quilt, is a stunning piece of art work- filled with your most lovely created many pieces, now almost very soon made to one beautiful and gorgeous quilt!
I can`t imagine how many hours you have used making this beauty, and I know you will treasure it as long as you live, and after that someone else will treasure it just as much!!-It will live and be loved for generations and being taken care of, and admired!
You are a fantastic quilter,and embroidere!
Hugs,Dorthe

Lynn Holland said...

You are such a fabulous embroiderer Jill, I really admire what you have done.
I have my pieces hung on a wall for ages and keep going back to them and what amazes me is how one day I see something completely different in them and can put pieces together and they look just right even though I haven't done anything to them. It happened yesterday so I can get my needle and thread out now,

The French Bear said...

Beautiful!!!! I know how much love and hard work you put in your stitching, it's soooo gorgeous!!!
Hugs,
Mags
xxx