Friday, June 28, 2013

something new...

i haven't done anything on the piece i showed in my last post - it seems i like it so much i'm afraid of messing it up so i am thinking on what to do next and doodling on paper

in the meanwhile, i was inspired by some of the work being done in the class, especially what's been happening over here, so i did a woven background of my own to play on


soft colours, a little texture, some pretty lace...


 one bit that apparently needs some extra pressing
(cameras are so unforgiving!)


 nice light colours so the stitches will show

i like it but i don't love it

and hopefully that means i'll be happy to experiment and not fret over it like it's got to be a masterpiece or something silly like that

i like it because:
weaving is quick
and it uses up extra fabric
and you don't have to use a sewing machine
yes,yes and more yes!

 i am also happy to say things are moving along in the book room...
ten sets of covers are done
six book blocks are sewn
another 6 have been compressed and clipped

below is one that has been sewn, with the ribbon tapes in place



these have been a good challenge for me because of all the different sizes of papers and bumpy bits here and there... they won't be the "tightest" of bindings but the linen thread should hold them together for many, many years

and the different sizes and types of papers should afford lots of ways for you to add to them, with writings, and gluing in or sewing various pictures, and/or bits of this and that


 below is kind of how they will look when they do get stuck together

with of course, the button chains on the spines

i have decided i will leave the covers plain so you can add your own embellishments,
or leave as is, with the pretty fabric having centre stage
(many have this fabric, but not all)


 i think i will add a ribbon tie to them as well, so if you do load them up with lots of thises and thats, you'll be able to tie it shut


and perhaps a book plate, with a note from me to you?


14 comments:

20 North Ora said...

Lovely work - your notebook and your pieced item. Your card is especially interesting also.

Judy

Susan Hemann said...

Love your beginning...

Diane Kelsey said...

The books are certainly looking lovely! How excitng to see one of my cards on your blog.

Mosaic Magpie said...

Oh the book looks great! I am getting so excited to see it. All the different size pages=lots of opportunities to add wishes and dreams!
xo,
Deb

FlowerLady Lorraine said...

Wow, I love the piece you are working on. The book is wonderful too.

Thank you for being the inspiration that you are.

Love and hugs ~ FlowerLady

Marj Talbot said...

The books are so exciting - love the fabric covers. Makes me want to get cracking and make more books. I look forward to see what you experiment with on the woven piece.

karen said...

how exciting!! The books are brilliant, I love them and weaving??? I do think weaving makes a lovely base for stitch and I like the softness of your colour choices.
http://karenannruane.typepad.com/karen_ruane/

lynn said...

i dont know where you find the time to do all you do.. that weaving project looks beautiful.. and im sure the finished piece will be amazing..
and the books.. what can i say.. such intricate and thoughtful work you are putting into each of them.
cant wait to get mine and look at each and every detail.. i will treasure it always .. and to have something that such a talented lady has worked on so tenderly.. is a gift in itself.
big hugs to you
xox
lynn l

Dorthe said...

Jillaynem, those books are so awsome, so much thinking and creating going into them, you are so fantastic!!
They will be beautiful finished with the butten strings...
Also love your woven piece-and am sure there will be some sweetest embroideries, and ads of lovely things.
Hugs to you, and happy sunday tomorrow!! Dorthe

Createology said...

Lovely weaving of those beautiful fabric strips. I shall follow your creative process on it; no matter how long it percolates. As for the Christmas Card books...I cannot imagine all the work you are doing to create each and every one of them. Huge challenge with all the different sizes and textures. I would love to see a bookplate signed by you my dear. You are amazing my friend...

Marj Talbot said...

nice work

karen said...

how are you??? not still afraid I hope???
http://karenannruane.typepad.com/karen_ruane/

FredaB said...

I can hardly wait. It will be "Christmas in July".

I was going to ask you to sign mine for me but when I got to the bottom I saw you might have that in mind.

Hugs
FredaB

FredaB said...

I think I will have to do some strips. I am behind on our flickr so haven't seen too many. Will have a good look.

Hugs
FredaB