Sunday, May 5, 2013

where i'm at...

thank you all so very much for the most amazing comments ever

my last post was probably the most personal i have ever written, and i am truly humbled by your responses... you brought tears to my eyes with them....

i thought since i had got away with a post about the winter festive season (i am simply not using the proper word in may!), i would test your patience with another... i want to update all of you who so kindly sent me cards to swap around and make into little books for each of you

i got held up a bit trying to find a thinner book board than the one i have but have had no luck - thicker board works just fine, i'm just picky,  and would have liked the thinner one...

anyhow, i gave in and it's now all cut to size

fun fact, only four books will be the same size, all the rest are different sizes and let me tell you, that kept me on my toes


next i gathered up all manner of buttons, beads and charms for the button chains that will decorate the spines - i like to make those when watching television... i need to make 28 i think and so i spent an hour or so digging around to see what i could see...

i could play in my button boxes and jars for hours

(i'm only showing you half.... some things will just have to be a surprise!)


another afternoon was spent gathering papers and card-stock

first i pulled out everything i thought might work


than i edited the pile, going back and finding more, trying different combinations

and then the cutting began....


all different sizes.... then to the folding

next up is messing around with some water-colour paper and paint

then i made the decisions about the covers... choosing the fabrics for the outside covers and papers for the inside - as in the pairing below

still, not all the same


 then tissue paper fused to the cover fabrics for added stability when gluing

and all the extras to add to your cards are sorted


almost all the design decisions are made and with only the water-colour pages to finish up this week, the assembling begins

it's taking me a little longer than i thought, and will be a bit longer still as i have to get my quilts for the show finished - it's less than 30 days away now....

but then we have a few months until that certain holly-day rolls around again!

9 comments:

Michelle May-The Raspberry Rabbits said...

Oh yes...the holly days will be here before we know it. I'm already working on September! Geesh! These are all soooooooooooo cool!

Heather said...

My this is a big task you have taken on, but I am sure the recipients are going to be so thrilled with your creation... a little bit of art from such a talented artist! Cheers~

Karen B. said...

Sweet Jillayne,

boy, you sure very busy! I can't wait to see the results.
many hugs
Karen B. ~ Todolwen

Dorthe said...

Dear Jillayne,
You alwayes makes the most to make your friends happy, -and creating these books for some of them, is a wonderful and generous work!
I hope you will show a finished result before sending them out!
Hugs from Dorthe

Createology said...

My dear you are one very dedicated artist. I cannot even imagine the amount of thought and time and research and work is going into our Christmas Card Books. The excitement is so great that yes, Christmas will be here very quickly. I wish I were there with you to help you with all this gathering and assembling. Happy Hearts Creating my dear...

Mosaic Magpie said...

I wish I could be there to lend a helping hand....I guess some words of encouragement will have to do. You take all the time you need for as you have said those holly days will be here all too soon. No matter what the season we will be delighted with our books and cherish them.
xo,
Deb

Suztats said...

Ooooh, anxious to see them! The best things take time, and I'm happy to wait!

Marj Talbot said...

Looking great - way too much work though. We will appreciate them and cherish them forever. It's a beautiful thing to do - take your time and enjoy some BC sunshine.

Celestina Marie said...

Hi Jillayne,
I love seeing your process and the steps to your results. It is amazing really how much work goes into a design. Looks as though you have it all very organized and I am sure that helps.
Yes, the Holly days will be here before we know it. I was just thinking today while creating, I really need to start Christmas in July this year. Of course I say that every year and then find it hard to stay to my plan. LOL

Have fun.
Sending hugs your way,
Celestina Marie