Sunday, April 21, 2013

when this old world....

starts getting me down

remember that one?

"up on the roof" i think it's called

how that popped in to my head when i looked at this photo and thought it was upside down i will never know... but there it was, and it won't leave... i'll be humming it all night long

you should click on the link and listen to it so you can hum along too

{i wish they had widget you could add to your blog so you could have a little ball that would bounce over the words on occasion}

(i think it might be fun someday - me, a psychologist, and a few ink blots....)

anyhoo,

upside down, right side up - i don't care - i like this section a lot


i have been bound, bent and determined to make a bullion knot i like

so last night i sat down and made several -  three bullion knots, three french knots, over and over again,
a patterning i find i really like

with one of the french knots being blue, of course
i like that even better
no idea why, but there it is
 

 and as that went so swimmingly well, i added a chain stitch outline to the appliqued hearts


and got started on embellishing my faux prairie points

oh, i can do a bona fide prairie point just fine....

one of my first quilting projects ever was completely outlined with them - they're adorable

i just don't like the bulk they add to the seam, especially in this kind of delicate work i am doing of late....

so i cut the corners off several napkins and made faux points

i also added buttonhole stitch to the straight edge of the lace, which has the effect of "pulling" the lace into the cloth, figuratively speaking

i'm always surprised by what i see each time i look at all the sections i have begun, what i think to add, and what i want to leave be

when is enough enough, and when is there always room for one more little bit of something pretty?

always evolving, ever changing





13 comments:

Marj Talbot said...

I agree about prairie points - they are very nice but do add bulk and take a bit of fabric to complete. I like your idea taken from the napkins - really nice. There are so many nice stitches in this project - a wonderful keepsake.

oldgreymare said...

always working, ever beautiful

Diane Kelsey said...

Some wonderful stitching, I really like the effects of bulions but struggle to make them consistently myself. More practise I expect.

FlowerLady Lorraine said...


Up on the roof is a great oldie as is Under the Boardwalk. I miss my dear sweet husband and am thankful for all of our years together.

Every time I visit here I am inspired by your beautiful work.

Have a lovely week ~ FlowerLady

Wendy said...

Jillayne, i don't know if I'm being thick or blind but I can't see any french knots and bullions, especially not a blue one?!? The cloth is looking amazing though, a pure piece of art.

Shirley said...

Good Morning Jillayne, I am taking a few minutes of me time while I catch up with my friends. Your project is progressing nicely and I am loving it more as you add more stitches to it. We are warming up, but you wonder just how warm we are going to get. They say rain and turning to snow this evening. Crazy. Have a wonderful day. Hugs and Prayers from Your Missouri Friend.

Suztats said...

I didn't have to listen to that song.....as soon as I read the lyrics, the tune popped into my head.....I just hope it leaves soon..... ;-} ......Love the bullions and fk's together, and making one blue, well, that's a signature idea!
Your piece is so beautifully soft and feminine-in a gently, loving way-not all frills and frou-frou- but delightfully calming, warm, and welcoming.

Celestina Marie said...

Hi Jillayne,
I always loved that song. Now I will be singing it all evening. LOL
Your work is gorgeous and only you can create such wonderful details.
You make everything magical.
This piece is a masterpiece.

Happy Stitching my friend.
Hugs, CM

Createology said...

I feel like I should whisper when I see your beautiful soft cloth of detailed stitches. It is so beautiful and the love you are putting into this is very apparent. "Under the Boardwalk..." yes this is now looping in my head. Good thing I like this oldie but goodie. I love your signature blue French knot. The hearts are pure perfection. Blissfully stitch on my dear...

Heather said...

Gorgeous, bullions are one of my favourite stitches to make! Cheers~

suziqu's thread works said...

Oh those crazy pieced hearts now surrounded with a chain stitch make them just complete. Love the work on the prairie points and the embroidered lace is stunning.
I admire your persistence and devotion to such beautiful stitching Jillayne.
Sending hugs,
Suzy

Alisa Noble said...

Just beautiful, Jillayne.

There is so much I have yet to learn about stitching... I didn't know what at prairie point was before now. I'm such a novice.

Becky Shander said...

I very much like your "in any direction" approach. Making things from many perspectives allows one to flow forth more freely.