Sunday, March 24, 2013

trying not to see the forest for the trees

background is done - for now
i may still make a change or two but it's time to move this thing forward


today i started on the trees
using tissue paper
i was surprised how easy it was to do the backstitch through it
i've only ever done a running stitch - back in my days of silk and metal thread embroidery


but as a pattern transfer tool, you just can't beat it
especially when you can't sketch worth beans
but have a big eraser!


it took a lot of discipline not to start removing the tissue paper until all the outlining was done

but then i was rewarded with this


some parts are definitely awkward, but others are unexpectedly graceful

next comes stitching and couching some pretty, sparkly threads, all designed to fill in the trunk and heavier branches, all the while adding glittery frost


i am still thinking i might try to work in some snowflake "leaves"

so much more to do still, and with each step i take i worry more that it will be far too busy, that i have used too many fabrics
in real life, it's much calmer and subdued than it shows here
at least i hope so!

i've updated the frost queen page above as well, located just under the header - there's a few extra photos up there, along with more natter...

14 comments:

Heather said...

So nice to see your first steps! Cheers~

oldgreymare said...

Keep going. It's not over till you get there...

suziqu's thread works said...

Jillayne this handstitching of the tree is so beautiful - I love the simplicity of the stitching as it is.
I am sure it looks even more beautiful in reality revealing much more softness with those well chosen fabrics and colour! I think these are your favourite colours too aren't they?
I admire your perseverance! The result will be so worth it!
Sending hugs,
Suzy

Angela Richardson said...

There is something so calming about hand stitching that makes you want to do more....
This is going to be a real treasure Jillayne. Love it.
Angela.xx

Marj Talbot said...

Couldn't agree more - a real treasure. The stitching is so well done and the tree is well shaped - don't hurry there's lots of time to ponder and sketch and stitch. Thanks for sharing this wonderful project - I'll stay tuned for any updates you make. Hugs!!

Celestina Marie said...

Hi Jillayne,
This is gorgeous. I love your hand stitching and it looks perfect. There is something so peaceful about the needle and thread pulling through the fabric. Love viewing your process. Have fun.

Your sweet kitty is darling below. Love the pics.

Just getting back to blogland as our company just left. I am exhausted. LOL
Hugs, CM

Suztats said...

Beautifully graceful tree, Jillayne. This is going to be so much fun watching it develop.

Wendy said...

you are just so clever, I wouldn't have a clue how to do this kind of work! thanks for sharing, I do love to see your processes

Dorthe said...

Dear Jillayne, how very BEAUTIFUL is this handstiched tree, oh you have made such an amazing piece , and I`m sure it will be even more beautiful when you finish it.
I love your wonderful colours, and don`t think it looks bussy at all!
Have a happy Easter week.
Hugs,Dorthe

Mosaic Magpie said...

I recently did my first stitching through tissue paper. I wrote a name to apply to a shopping cart cover for a new baby. It worked out so nice and very easy to stitch through. I love the tree...I can see a hooty owl peeking out in those branches.
Deb

Createology said...

Jillayne this is stunning. Your tree is very graceful. I cannot imagine what your vision is for this piece but I will be watching your progress. The entire idea and these fabrics are so beautiful. Blissful Stitching Dear...

JennyPennyPoppy said...

Your stitching and tree and the fabrics you chose all look fabulous. What a terrific idea to stitch your design through tissue paper. I will definitely try that.

Deb~Paxton Valley Folk Art said...

What a beautiful project Jillayne, I'm tuning in late but love it! Your thought to use the tissue paper is brilliant, I will have to tuck that idea away for myself. Can't wait to follow your progress, you amaze me with your creativity and eloquence!

Karen B. said...

Just beautiful dear Jillayne!

many hugs
Karen B. ~ Todolwen