Tuesday, March 5, 2013

the reese's pieces theory of creativity


i've been spending a lot of time these days flitting between the three courses i have been taking from karen ruane: an embroiderer's ledger, embroider, embellish, create and alchemy

working with paper and thread and lace

and today all that flitting collided into something new
(think the reese's peanut butter cup commercial where two people, separately eating chocolate and peanut butter, are coming to the same corner and bump into each other....)


i'd been thinking up different pages to put in the card books i'm working on
and a couple of you sent your cards in very pretty tissue paper....
i saved all of it and made these!


collaged tissue paper pages, embellished with free-motion stitching and hand embroidery

 beautiful bits of colour enhanced with thread


some i stippled


 others have random squiggles


 you can't see it here but this tissue had sparkly bits which peek through here and there - i may even add some more....


 beautiful, elegant paper, just waiting for a little added sparkle


some poinsettias are machine stitched


 and some are hand-pricked


 random bits of paper and thread
 

 it occurred to me as i edited the picture below that the coloured pieces form a heart in one spot - i like that idea and am going to play with it next, also adding bits of lace and cheesecloth to the mix


 you never know where you will end up when you learn something new....


12 comments:

Suztats said...

Wonderful results from your random bits, Jillayne! The white poinsettia looks so delicate against the coloured paper.

Michelle May-The Raspberry Rabbits said...

So pretty! I really do love making more artsy quilts and things. I think I'm just bored with basic patchwork. This looks like so much fun.
xx

Laura said...

Stunning as always... even the poinsettas, haha. Just cause you don't use the C word, doesn't mean we can't tell it's on your mind everyday!

Marj Talbot said...

The combination of paper, cloth, thread - very very nice. I love the poinsettia stitched in - very delicate and special. Thanks for letting us see what you're "playing" with - great as usual.

Bead and Needle said...

You make my heart smile, and I need that SO much, right now. These are just beautiful, Jillayne - you can tell your work makes you happy.

And now, I'm picturing you out in the backyard leading ET to the house, with a bag of Reeses Pieces! I hope there's no snow on his goofy feet - Happy, CREATIVE (looks like you've got that pretty well covered) rest of your week - you ROCK!!!! XOXO Tanya

Createology said...

I love seeing these beautiful tissue papers being used to create even more amazing papers for your books. The stitching and pricking makes for interesting embellishments. Clever and Creative you are my friend. Enjoy your days of play...

Dorthe said...

OH dear Jillayne, this is such most beautiful papers you have made, I LOVE them and how you so wonderfully stitched around on them..making the lovely flowers and patterns -The ones with red and green tissue in the white are gorgeous,dear, so amazing what can be created from a bunch of tissues!!
Hugs from here and smiles to you-I hope you have sun this tuesday, like I have had..now it is totally dark outside (20,30) and the evening have half gone!
Your fantastic papers have made my evening- and made me smile happily!
xx-Dorthe

Celestina Marie said...

Hi Jillayne,
Oh wow your work is amazing. What a gorgeous result you achieved created such wonderful papers. You always turn everything into something fabulous.

So great to see you today and thank you for stopping by. I have so missed coming over to visit. My google reader has not worked since last July and I am having an awful time finding blogs and my friends. No help from google either!!
So, as I find someone either when I see a comment someplace or they stop by, I can visit and sign up to subscribe by email. That's what I just did here and I am so glad.
I know it's a long story!! I am so sorry I have not been by in so long.

Wishing you a wonderful Wednesday and Sending hugs your way.
Happy Creating.
Celestina Marie

Mosaic Magpie said...

I love the fact you kept bits of packing to create these beautiful papers. The piece where the poinsettia is outlined without having been actually stitched is a nice touch. Things like that add such an unexpected touch. You look at it thinking it is stitched...look again realizing it is not...look again and think something is missing....and look again and realize because the stitching is missing, that makes the element so very interesting and eye catching.
I like how a heart appeared in your work... it adds a touch of approval from your inner muse!
xo,
Deb

JennyPennyPoppy said...

So creative! All your pieces look lovely :)

suziqu's thread works said...

Dear Jillayne
This is such exciting work on the recycled tissue paper of poinsettias.
Love all the random machine stipling and even the hand-pricked flower looks great and it all comes together so well. I'm really looking forward to the next stage of the added cheesecloth and bits of lace too.
Thank you for your lovely visit to my blog recently too.
Warm hugs dear friend,
Suzy

FlowerLady Lorraine said...

Wow, these papers are beautiful. It is so much fun learning new things. You have me intrigued now.

Thank you for your lovely comments on both of my blogs.

Love and hugs ~ FlowerLady