Wednesday, March 13, 2013

confessions of magic and mayhem

seems like my last post impressed some of you to no end...
my list of accomplishments...

truth to tell, i was home alone for 8 days
no vacuuming, no dusting, ate salads so no cooking
no laundry

it's easy to get a lot accomplished when you don't have all of that
so i'm not really so stunning after all

that's one confession... here's another

i like wine
i like paypal
sometimes i mix them
separately they are great, together, well, they can be magic or mayhem

but i'll begin at the beginning...


somewhere back about 1997 i started doing crazy quilting using only neutral fabrics: ivory, cream, beige, taupe and stitching them in the same colours of threads, sometimes adding icy blues

i loved, loved, loved the look
and i started to wonder what if i pieced quilts using those same fabrics, traditional block patterns and then embellished the seams with embroidery in the same neutral coloured threads


 this was my first experiment, started round about 1998

a square in a square wall hanging, four blocks, all in neutrals

the first block i did was this one, sand hills, shells


and the second was this posy of button flowers
simple and delicate


herringbone stitch and french knots 
textured fabric
sublime ({at least to me!}


and then i put it away because i couldn't think of what to do with the last two squares
and i liked it so much i didn't want to mess it up

fast forward 15 years
early evening
a lovely shiraz
and a notion to go in web-surfing

 and i am now the proud owner of modeles de broderie par yoko saito
in french
cost me a boatload, worth every penny
thank goodness my french is pretty good
i am learning all about "point lance, point de noued, point de croix, fait les pochettes et les sacs

c'est tres bien

and today i got an idea for the last two squares, thanks to a little bit of inspiration from this new treasure - stay tuned tomorrow....

my husband just looked at it and said "it's all in french!"

mais oui, monsieur, mais oui

12 comments:

suziqu's thread works said...

Wow Jillayne you really are having such a wonderful time over these few days making the most of your time.
Isn't it great that you can pull out some crazy patchwork that you started in 1997 and still be in love with it and the colours and tonings etc. The embroidery with the buttons is so very beautiful and I so loved your last post also but didn't have time to comment - all the stitching with lace edged pieces, french knotting etc. - it all looks stunning.
I must tell you also that I once knew Glen Shorrock who sings "Cool Change". He was in a band called "The Twilights" and they used to perform every Saturday night at a club in Adelaide, South Australia where I lived in the late 60's and we adored those nights and still love The Little River Band!
Such fond memories!
Sending lots of sewing hugs,
Suzy

Marj Talbot said...

Good on you for holding on to such a nice piece. I am anxious to see the rest. I love the tones and adding the icy blue - very nice. Or should I say - tres gentil???





Karen B. said...

Sweet Jillayne,
your work is amazing!! Your first try was so beautiful and I can't wait to see it completed! Like I said quilting with you for a a day or two would be amazing!!!I love you work!
many hugs and much love
Karen B. ~ Todolwen

FlowerLady Lorraine said...

Dear Jillayne ~ Your work was lovely back then and is still lovely today. I look forward to seeing what you will be adding to this piece.

Love and hugs ~ FlowerLady

Suztats said...

soothing tones, and beautiful stitching. I love the beach one with the little shells. Looking forward to seeing what's next.

Mosaic Magpie said...

I guess it goes to show, if you do what you love and what is in your heart.....you will continue to love it. Kind of like buying only what you love...not because of it's worth. Now speaking of buying...I have not tried the paypal/wine combo...sounds very dangerous to me!!! Chocolate and paypal though seem to be the perfect companions!
Love seeing your crazy quilting, I really like the colors and restrained use of embellishing, it has a vintage look to it. There is a point where more is well...too much and your embellishing is just right!
xo,
Deb

Dorthe said...

Oh Jillayne,
I too know about a glass of wine and Paypal, hehehe...
Your wonderful patchwork piece from 1997,is a beautiful work of art, so lovely is the piece with the buttons, and so fantastic that you found it again and can now finish it after inspiration form this great new buy!!
Hugs and kiss,Dorthe

Diane Kelsey said...

Heaven time alone to play and not feel guilty. Time spent on a project doesn't matter when the end result is worth it.

Wendy said...

c'est genial. J'aime bien le "crazy quilting" mais quelque fois il est trop, dans ces couleurs c'est belle, vraiment belle

Createology said...

Lovely work from years before. I can create mayhem with Paypal and shoes. I had quite the oops lately. Your love of natural colors and traditional stitching and buttons and elements will always create timeless treasures. No stemmed wine glasses near the keyboard...Mr. WayneO the WineO knows that lesson...TWICE to the tune of $20,000. Insurance does not understand or cover such accidents. Bonne Nuit Madame...

Laura said...

"I like wine. I like paypal." Guess I am your daughter after all...

Glad you had fun with your 8 days off! MISS YOU!! XO

Deb said...

Only you could make neutrals come so alive, this is a lovely piece, You are such an inspiration. Thank you for sharing your work.