Sunday, February 24, 2013

silk and paper fusion

silk is such an amazingly beautiful thing

i still remember the first piece of silk I ever owned
palest pink silk dupionni
i still have fragments of that cloth and use it ever more sparingly as it dwindles away
over the years i have gathered a few others, never sure what i will do with them but always knowing they will be part of something magical
(magical to me anyway...)

in my alchemy course, with karen, we have learned how to combine silk fabric and paper to make something sublime


i chose a dark blue silk and hand made paper in a mottled blue and pink with marbling in black and gold

cotton, rayon and metallic threads


free motionembroidery

layering, stitching, tearing


this piece is in dire need of stretching and once i get that done i will go back and do more embellishing by hand


 i have no idea what yet but i am sure it will involve glittery threads


and perhaps some icy snowflakes or stars

this was so much fun to do
 i am already dreaming up other colour combinations, other practical uses

practical uses?
that almost seems like an oxymoron - art can be practical????

yes, yes, i think so.... i think this would be a fabulous technique to play with for my christmas books for the swap...

i can just see a starry night page, or an icy, snowy one
green with holly and the ivy
or deep red with poinsettias

 i would get to play with what i recently learned, exploring a new technique to my heart's content,
and all the while i will actually be working on something on my "to do" list

practical indeed!

and speaking of the christmas books,
below are cards sent by diane from diane hobbit


diane is a quilter and textile artist who lives in the uk 
diane inspires me with all she does, and her travels - i think she is the ultimate "busy woman"!

there's one more card she sent that i set aside for my book.... just not quite sure where that pile is at this exact moment - yeesh

so there you have it.... all the cards sent and swapped and now the rest is up to me

for the next few weeks i can be found in my sewing room, happily playing with silk and paper and thread...

15 comments:

Stacie said...

You had me at silk, absolutely love dupioni, then did me in again when you said handmade paper! Sublime indeed!
That is an interesting technique you are learning with Karen and turning out gorgeous. Can't wait to see how you continue practicing the silk paper fusion, your ideas are magical!

Dorthe said...

Dear Gillayne,
Oh my this is so gorgeous, I love what you have created with the silk and handmade paper, stunning, dear..and such beautiful colours...your free embroidery looks wonderful, and there are so many great looks to the silk below, the paper!
BEAUTIFUL!!!
Hugs,Dorthe

Marj Talbot said...

Paper and silk - free motion embroidery - simply gorgeous. If you share this in your Christmas books, it will be treasured for sure - great idea and great work. Thanks tons for sharing.

Mosaic Magpie said...

How interesting is this! I love all the texture and unexpected surprises that peek out from the paper...combining silk and paper! The two materials seem to be so far apart in importance and yet here you have combined them into something that is beautiful. When you mentioned the icy snowflakes, I was thinking this would be an interesting background for your Ice Fairy.
xo,
Deb

Shirley said...

Good Morning Jillayne, I thought I would visit some of my friends while I am at home. Stomach hurts, but under so much stress at the moment, just don't which is bothering me most. I love what you are working on now and can't wait to see it when you are all the way done. Your free motion embroidery makes wonderful designs and shows your many talents. I hope you have a wonderful day. We have another round of snow moving in. Take care Hugs and Prayers from Your Missouri Friend.

Bead and Needle said...

Girl...you rock, SO HARD!!! THIS is absolutely STUNNING! Can't wait to see what else you think it might need, but you're the master! Hope your week is creatively amazing - you never let me down. XOXO ME

Suztats said...

Oooh, I love the silk and paper, and what you've done with them! Your FME is fabulous! This would be a wonderful technique for the Christmas books.

JennyPennyPoppy said...

Your combination of silk and paper looks really neat. It is so fun just to play and see what happens. Lovely choice of colours too.

FredaB said...

Jillayne I can hardly wait to see what you come up with for your finished alchemy project. Mine has fallen down a hole to never appear again. Just cannot get going on it.

You do give me inspiration though. Today I did start todays paper punching one and it is fun to try. Not as straight as hers as if it ever could be.

Hugs

FredaB

Michelle May said...

Oh my gosh girlfriend. That is so totally cool! Love all the cards in the swap. fun!

Julia - "Vintage with Laces" said...

This is spectacular, Jillayne! A gorgeous piece of textile art.
Have a happy week!
Hugs,
Julia

lynn said...

what a lovely piece you have already.. and with your mind seeing things you want to add.. im sure its going to be just gorgeous.. i am always in awe at such talent...
silk is always so magical to me.. guess it brings me back to my baby years.. remember those blankets with the silk along the edge.. sigh.. i remember carrying a ratty piece of blanket around for years..
i do love the colors you chose in the silk.. and the threads..
thank you so much for inspiring us all ..
cant wait to see what you do next
sending big ladybug hugs
xox
lynn

Createology said...

You are amazing my dear. I adore this newest art piece you are creating. The silk is delicious and the marbled paper is such an interesting element to pair with the smooth silk. How fun to FME and rip and tear and just let the piece come to life. I would love to see you incorporate it into our books. I do believe honesty outweighs greed. Creative Hearts are Happy Hearts...

karen said...

just when I thought there was a post with no mention of the C word.....you let me down. Good thing your work is so beautiful or you would find yourself bottom of the class young lady!
http://karenannruane.typepad.com/karen_ruane/

Tina @ TinyBear Studio said...

Oh - this piece is SO beautiful Jillayne. The technique is wonderful and so unique. I can´t wait to see what you do with this.