Friday, January 18, 2013

making a beginning...



 the other day at work i happened to look out the window and saw this...
 

 beautiful pinky-blue evening sky with the tree in black.... every branch adding to the lacey effect


it was like the frost queen's forest, coming to life


this is the beginnings of my first page in my design ledger

it all started with my post card from paris


and i'm adding sketching and thread and paint

trying to figure out her world

and bring it to life
 

getting ideas...

"snowflake-flowers"?

it's such an interesting process and i am loving every minute of it

my usual method when designing is to start cutting and sewing right away
stitch and rip
try an idea and it works, or if it doesn't, rip it out and try again

this is kind of a new concept for me, thinking and planning and experimenting on paper
and i believe when all is said and done and she's hanging on the wall, i will be so glad of this treasure, this book

my design ledger...

a record of a journey through a beautiful world of snow and ice

8 comments:

Createology said...

Your sketch journal will be a treasure all in itself. The journey and process to reveal the true Frost Queen will be such an exciting creative journey. Love what I am seeing already. Thank you for sharing as it really adds so much. Creative Hearts are Happy Hearts...

The French Bear said...

Well done!!! I like it already, I didn't take Karen's new course, I need to finish my last one but I shall live through your work vicariously!!! I mailed off the cards today, sorry to be so far behind everyone.....I added a few bits and bobs, lol, as Karen would say!
Have a great weekend, talk soon..
Mags
xx

The English Romantic said...

What nicer thing is there to do on a cold weekend but sit and be creative,
here in England the world stops with a couple of inches of snow.
I'm really loving your design book.I have a City and Guilds in Creative Machine Embroidery and the design element was really inspiring.
Have a fun weekend.
Hugs, Angela.x

Tina @ TinyBear Studio said...

Those pages looks interesting Jillayne - a designer page - hhmm, not sure what that is, but it sure looks like it could end up being an amazing journal. Love the idea with the color theme and the sketches.

Suztats said...

A design journal sounds like a great idea for playing and trying different ideas. I shall enjoy watching it come to life.

Karen said...

Everything you do is so creative. You write beautifully. I can feel myself relax and enjoy each word as I read.

Appleshoe said...

This is such a lovely project and that tree... What a beautiful view to end the day with. Take care.

karen said...

just lovely.....
http://karenannruane.typepad.com/karen_ruane/