Thursday, January 31, 2013

every once in a while...

every so often i get a good idea

and once in a blue moon i get a great one
 (at least i think it's great...)

 do you have trouble keeping track of all those wonderful spare buttons, snaps, and bits of thread that come with so many of our clothes these days?

i always threw them in one corner of my jewellery box until it was full to overflowing and then i'd try to figure which ones i still needed and put the rest in my button box - it was NOT my favourite thing to do

and then there were the special washing instructions - yeesh
in the event of uncertainty, hand wash, hang to dry wins the day, but i have ruined a thing or two doing that when it shouldn't be done...

one day i was sauntering around the stationery store and found some lovely, colourful envelopes with string closures

i wanted them, but couldn't decide what i'd do with them.... as i stood there petting them, it came to me...

a "laundry book"

neatly bound with lovely little envelopes, just the right size to hold those pesky labels, buttons and threads


on the back side of each envelope is a paper to write the appropriate garment description on
{in pencil of course!}


i've had a hankering to resurrect my etsy shop and was thinking of things to make for it

and when i found these charming fabrics the other day i decided they might be just the perfect thing to make a laundry book or two, or three with... 


they would be just the thing to get me warmed up for all the christmas books i'm about to make

if you're in the card/book swap, there is only one more set to arrive

and in the meanwhile, i'm knee deep in laundry!

(the grand re-opening will hopefully be in about two weeks time +/-)

12 comments:

Bead and Needle said...

"As I stood there petting them..." - I LOVE YOU!!! Clever idea (I pile all those little button packages I cut off garments in a drawer in my bathroom, and then throw them out once a year...now I can ship them to you and you will know where they go!). You ROCK, woman! XOXO Tanya

suziqu's thread works said...

Hi Jillayne - you are always busy coming up with new ideas and this is a great one.
Those envelopes with lovely enclosures are fantastic - haven't seen them before!
If you would like to come over now to my blog I am very shortly drawing my Giveaway of a fabric and lace collage.
Thought you might like to join in!!
Hugs from here,
Suzy

Dorthe said...

Dear Gillayne,
You have such practical ideas, and this one is great, and so beautifully made- -the other fabrics are all lovely, and will make equal wonderful laundry books-
YES I have those bits all over,too, my dear
Hugs and a happy weekend to you.
Dorthe

Connie Eyberg Originals said...

Truly clever idea!

oldgreymare said...

Brilliant! My "button/thread" drawer is also in my bathroom and overflowing <3

Createology said...

I love your idea and little handmade book of fun envelopes. In all my years I saved all those little packets and buttons and threads and beads and never once did I ever need one...well maybe but couldn't find the one I did need. I await your etsy grand opening my dear. Creative Hearts are Happy Hearts...

Suztats said...

I can imagine in Victorian times that such a laundry book might have been kept for proper care of the clothing. A splendid idea! I save those button etc. packages, and once the garment is no longer being worn, the buttons are added to my button container ( a shoe tote) for CQing!

The French Bear said...

Jillayne, you seriously do rock!!! Can't wait to see your progress or finished book......how's the course coming along??? Just got my Sue Spargo, BOM....it's birds and looks like it's going to be fun!
Hugs,
Mags
xx

Alisa Noble said...

Petting them.... it is really nice to know I'm not alone in the world.

You are absolutely brilliant. I think I've said that to you before.
I have buttons in every drawer and probably basket in my bathroom. So of course, when I lose a button there is no way I can find the correct one.
Brilliant.

JennyPennyPoppy said...

Sounds like a really neat idea! Looking forward to seeing your grand opening :)

Mosaic Magpie said...

Here I have been tossing those buttons in a jar...sorted by color of course....it never occured to me that one day I may need one of those replacement buttons. Your system would make that needed button easier to find....of course half the fun of finding a button is digging through the jar "petting" each one!
Deb

Roses, Lace and Brocante said...

Hi Jillayne
You have had a brainwave - love it!
I'm like you and I've got tiny plastic bags with one little button or a few woollen threads all through my drawers!!
A great organising idea!
Shane ♥