Thursday, January 10, 2013

are you allowed?

an age-old question we usually stop asking as soon as we're grown up

i said i wasn't going to choose a "word" for this year, but right now, this minute, this word chose me

i'm allowed...

fresh starts, making changes, not trying to change who you are, but rather, allowing yourself to be who you want to be...
there is a difference you know

are you allowed too?

i can't tell you how much i am enjoying my little allowances

making space for me

and in that purging i found much inspiration for my latest creation

"the frost queen"


i wasn't going to take "alchemy", karen ruane's latest e-course
even though she's a fabulous teacher, inspirer, motivator, and i confess, i love the sound of her voice and vocabulary
(i'm hearing words i only ever read in storybooks by english authors!)

but when i found my notes on ideas for a piece called "the frost queen", which have been lying in wait for more than six months, i decided this was the perfect time for this class


today i started gathering up all the things i could think of that made me think of this idea


over the next weeks, all these pictures will get stuck down in my ledger, and i will be working my way through design ideas using fabric, paint, sketches and stitch


i'll be thinking of what a "frost queen" would wear


what she would "paint" her world with


how all that glitters in a frosty forest is definitely not gold


the patterns frost leaves on glass and water

the hard glitter of icy icicles


the magic she creates when her wand touches branches and leaves


how she enhances delicate webs


white trees silhouetted against a dark sky


shimmery glimmers


blue and brown and white and silver
pearly, iridescent, shimmer


dark shadows to enhance the light


and ice crystals everywhere


i see her standing in the forest, queen of the winter world, beautiful in her icy coldness, generous in the sharing of her gift

she sparkles and shines and brings beauty to cold days

 i have no idea how this design will unfold... i don't want to make too many decisions too quickly... not without exploring and seeing where she leads me

i do know it will have crazy quilting - at least, for her dress...i think....



14 comments:

FredaB said...

You are a beautiful writer. The way you describe and show everything.

I am glad you did decide to take Alchemy. I think you will do very good in this class. Will be watching. I can't believe how many are so far already. I haven't decided except it is going to be lace, old fashioned and crazy quilted. Probably make a lace journal of some kind.

See you in class.

Hugs

FredaB

Michelle May said...

Oh how totally cool is all of this! You're going to have so much fun and I can't wait to see it!
xx

Createology said...

Allowed is quite the interesting word. I love how you put words and images to your quest to create "The Frost Queen". Watching your journey will be amazing and rewarding. Creative Hearts are Happy Hearts...

Dorthe said...

You made me want to go straight to my shop and start making a frost queen doll :-)
Your story telling is so wonderful and I can see almost everything for my inner eye Jillayne!
What fantacy imagination and lovely pictures you show, and make jump into my brain!
Well it is dark, cold, and late evening, so I`m stuck here on my chair in front of the computer, NOT starting a frost queen...not today--but maybe another day.I can`t wait to see yours my dear-thankyou for a wonderful "story"
Hugs,Dorthe

Laura said...

You've truly outdone yourself with this post Ma... can't wait to see how the Frost Queen unfolds!

KnitYoga said...

Love your Frost Queen inspiration. Funnily enough, I have just (last night) finished reading a beautiful novel called The Snow Child by Eowyn Ivey. I bought it for my Kindle and the Kindle version was only £1.49. You really must read it. I do believe you will recognise elements of your Frost Queen in there.

Marj Talbot said...

Very fitting - frost queen - as the winter glistens around us.
Can't wait to see the finished project or episodes as it unfolds.
Thanks for sharing this post and lovely pictures.

Celestina Marie said...

Hi Jillayne, Your words are so inspiring. Your talents many and you share your heart and creative ideas beautifully. I simply love a post like this. I know your direction will lead you to the most beautiful frost queen ever.
Love all your gorgeous pics and the details.

So great to see you and thank you for the visit and kind comment. I hope you enjoy a wonderful new year filled with many joys and lots of happy times creating and "being allowed" to follow your heart.

Big hugs, Celestina Marie

Diane Kelsey said...

The Frost Queen, what a wonderful title for your work. I absolutely love the pictures of your initial design idea and know I will enjoy seeing how your work progresses.

humphreycumfycushion said...

Such a lovely post and so exquisitely put together - love that all the pictures so beautifully match the words.
Thank you so much for your kind words on my blog - I am so pleased to have found yours and look forward to catching up on your past posts.
With best wishes Bridget

karen said...

you have such wonderful inspiration and I am blushing here!! go to the top of class....I can be bribed, I have no morals!!!
http://karenannruane.typepad.com/karen_ruane/

Mosaic Magpie said...

Oh my, what a post! I am thinking I need to make a Frost Queen too! All of the inspiration you have provided here will have all of us making icy fairies.
Deb

Deb said...

I love your creative process, the way you tell of the frost queen I can almost feel a chill in the air. Your gathering of goods unfolds my own imagination and make me want to create something cool and frosty.
Thank you and I can wait to watch as your creation unfolds.

Belladonna said...

Your creativity is outstanding. You must have something taken from fairy in you :)