Monday, December 24, 2012

sing

 sing is my word for december

i chose it very early in the month, and while there were certainly times i questioned the appropriateness of it, i am convinced now it is the perfect word for me, right now


there will always be reasons not to sing
... i suppose that's why sad songs were invented

yet some of the saddest songs are the most beautiful


i realized this was my word when i heard a song at work one day...
"you're so vain" came on the radio
it was 1:10 on the clock and i was instantly in the high school cafeteria
it was lunchtime on a friday and we were wondering where the party was that night

i had to shake my head to make the memory go away, it was that vivid

and then i started thinking about the power of music

how a song can instantly transport you, reflect your mood, sometimes even change it

"my song" has always been "i am a rock" by simon & garfunkle
if i could sing at all i would belt that baby out for all the world to hear... some days....

other days it's "here comes the sun" by the beatles

polar opposites



this may seem like an odd topic for a Christmas eve post

but music is a big factor at this time year
while we celebrate
while we worship
while we remember
while we grieve
while we share

it shapes us, lifts us and comforts us
and some of the greatest music ever was written in honour of christmas

and so to me it's the perfect word


and according to our son who is now 25
"darcy the dragon" still has to be the first song christmas morning!

i wish all of you faithful, supportive and wonderfully kind blogging friends a wonderful christmas filled with what matters most

9 comments:

Becca said...

I love to sing! I agree...music can really take you away...it's a powerful thing and beautiful world language. Merry Christmas to you! Steely Dan's Babylon Sister takes me back to younger days when I would travel to Southern California...just seeing the palm trees against the California sunset would put this song in my mind. :_)

oldgreymare said...

Merry Christmas to you my friend.
May the New Year bring you peace and joy and many blessings.
<3

Marj Talbot said...

Any kind of music is soothing and wonderful. May you and your family have the best Christmas ever. Best wishes for 2013.

Wendy said...

Merry Christmas Jillayne. I am a Rock is a wonderful song... I was lucky enough to see S&G in concert a few years ago... wonderful memories.

Createology said...

I adore your word "sing". If there were no music in this world I would be very lost and sad. Music has always been my grounding element and has carried me through many areas of my journey in life. I love music of all genres. Shall we sing? Our ability is only limited by our own inner critic. Let us sing my friend...

FredaB said...

Hi Jillayne

Hope you all had a good christmas. We did here - quiet this year - just the two of us but still special.

Love your ornaments especilly the globe one - where did you find this?

Hugs

FredaB

Appleshoe said...

I'm a little late, but hope that you had a wonderful Christmas and wish you a brilliant New Year. Such lovely photos and such true true words. This Christmas season I cried every time "The First Noel" came on the radio remembering my daughter Noel who died 10 years ago Dec 23rd, yet now a new chance for life grows inside me. So many Christmas songs about one small little baby boy on the radio. So many reasons to look forward and give joy. Our home is filled with song year round, but there does seem to be something extra special and moving about music this time of year. Lets sing in the New Year a new start. Take care.

Mosaic Magpie said...

Sing is a perfect word for this month. It is so strange how a song or a scent can take you back to a different point in time. I have enjoyed being a blogging friend with you...you make my heart sing!
Deb

Douglas Wickware said...

Hey, you remembered how old I am!