Thursday, November 8, 2012

hearts a-plenty!

 

have you ever become so entranced with making something you just can't bring yourself to stop?

i started out thinking i would make a few little felt ornaments for my sale

i began with pink and cream
 and quickly added fawn and taupe


and four hearts turned into many


 i still like the pink one best though


there was such joy in the softness of the felt, the sheen of the thread and the rhythm of the stitch,
and i kept making them

 in no time i had the beginnings of a bowlful
 
 
 
i couldn't decide what to do about a hanger so i just kept making hearts while i waited on an idea
(which i'm still waiting on....)

and as i looked at them, laying there so pretty i thought wouldn't they make a lovely advent calendar
with a word on each one

a calendar of hearts and words

"heart-words"

(since i still have plenty of good words i haven't yet used)


i'm thinking i will print the words on muslin (by hand) and pin them to the hearts 

to use them as an advent, you would place them word side down in a bowl

each day, choose a heart and hang it on the tree
and think of that word, that feeling, that thought....

i'll include spare muslin tags so the purchaser can write their own words, changing them as they like, from year to year 

because as we all know
what's of the utmost importance today can pale in comparison to the challenges or joys of tomorrow
 

plenty is my word for november

lying in bed the other morning, wondering about a word, not trying to think of one, just wondering what it would be

as my thoughts drifted to the sale and things to make and things already done; 
"plenty" 
kept popping up again and again

plenty can be a good thing or a bad thing

and right now i have plenty of work to do so i had best get at it!
 

14 comments:

Bead and Needle said...

Looks like your heart was in it, for sure! These are delightful - XOXO Tanya

Marj Talbot said...

That's a great idea - and such pretty little hearts. I love the colour choices - they're beautiful.

Deb~Paxton Valley Folk Art said...

What a lovely idea for an advent calendar Jillayne, you are so inventive and your hearts-a-plenty are beautiful! When and where is your sale? I'd love to come pay you a visit and gather in some of your plentiful and generous hearts. Deb

Createology said...

These soft pretty little hearts are warm and loving and cozy. Comfort Hearts. With a word these will make a wonderful advent calendar. Plenty...Hearts of Plenty...Plenty of Love...sheer joy.

The English Romantic said...

Hearts can be addictive to make I know, these are delicious Jillayne.
Your advent calender will be really special too, What a lovely idea!!
Angela.

Judys Fabrications said...

These little hearts look so sweet!I'm a new Follower.Sherry Ellison told me about your blog.

Chloe Emmott said...

Every time I vist I saw ooo ahhhh, and off I run to my sewing room because it triggers off an idea in me, If you aim to inspire you do. Thank you.

FlowerLady said...

These are sweet. I love the soft colors.

I have been making hearts for the past couple of days myself, inspired by that sweet star you sent out to followers last year. Mine has the word hope on the back. The hearts I am making have the word love on the back. Beads and embroidery on the front.

Thank you for your inspiration. I am enjoying making each heart.

Hugs ~ FlowerLady

Suztats said...

Hearts all warm and fuzzy....hearts-full and hearts-felt all created by your heart for others to love. May you have hearts aplenty.

Alisa Noble said...

I love this idea, Jillayne! And they look so pretty in the bowl... like a bowl of neapolitan ice cream.
Have a great weekend!

Monica said...

Lovely, lovely, lovely! Love them and your idea is super, Jillayne!
Have fun.
xo

suziqu's thread works said...

Hi Jillayne
What a lovely idea you have come up with! It's like a form of meditation - contemplating on a word!
There is something very special about creating hearts - I'm like you and love creating them! It opens up our own hearts as well!

Thank you for sparing a little time to tour my garden where there is more than "plenty" to see, feel and to love!
Have a wonderful week ahead!
x Suzy

Wendy said...

these are so sweet and what a lovely idea for an advent calendar

Dorthe said...

Dear Jillayne,
your sweet hearts looks almost like little French maccaroons in a new shape, so lovely and a wonderful idea, for the advent calender.
I wish you good luck with your christmas sale, sweet,-AND I`m about to think that plenty is too much for me,right now, in the middle of making plenty of things for sale, too. :-)
Hugs,Dorthe