Tuesday, October 2, 2012

the wonder of it all


the wind is blowing and i love it when it does that...

a swirling, whirling, you-know-the-world-is-alive kind of wind
the kind where the trees are in constant motion, where all the branches are waving
and you would swear the trees are dancing

calm sunny days are pretty but other than looking lovely, they don't make you realize the world is not just a static backdrop

windy days make me feel at one with the world

when i was in grade 10 my two best friends had english in the first semester and one of the first books on their reading list was "who has seen the wind?"

i loved the title.... the sound of it.... the absurdity of the question, and finally, the understanding of how creative a title it was

my english teacher didn't select it for us and i remember being disappointed
 to this day i still haven't read it... have you?

not sure if i'm afraid it won't live up to my ideal 
or if i just like the idea of the conflict not reading it creates....
(my teacher was big on us learning and incorporating conflict in our work, and  i have to say i excelled at that part of of our study unit... to all who know me, surprise, surprise, surprise...)

anyhow, i love it when the outside world is in sync with what's happening in my noggin...
so along with the wind,
i'm doiung my own whirling and swirling right now with karen ruane's e-course

 


doesn't that name just reek of wonder?


needles and thread and a book, all wrapped up in something amazing

a record of design, of colour, of stitch
a place to come back to, to remember,
and to be inspired all over again


i haven't the time i want or need to devote to this so i am hopelessly behind the group
but i am thrilled to be following along with them and when the world settles in to the sleep of winter i will enjoy quiet days and nights playing with thread and paint as the snow falls softly and world becomes still

my mind will whirr with the wonder of it all

on another note,
i was at a loss again for my monthly word
october 2 and i had no clue, no thought, no inkling

and then i found it
on karen's blog "todolwen"
in amongst her happy news i found the word that so suits where i am this month, and where i have always wanted to be

 wonder

"sorrow" is still such a big part of my thoughts, but like the resilience of a blade of grass through concrete, joy and wonder prevail

i won't live in a way that is focused only on the negative 
i'll acknowledge the yucky stuff, but i have to move on, to find the find good things, great things, wonderful things

the wonder

like a sailor setting out on the sea, i sometimes feel as though i am heading toward the edge of a flat world
but i remind myself that the world is round
and what seemed like the end is also the beginning...

 

14 comments:

Tina @ TinyBear Studio said...

Can´t wait to see your ledgers Jillayne. I´m sure they´ll be awesome. I have been following Karens blog for a while and her embroidery is amazing.

Dortesjs said...

this is awsome, love

FlowerLady said...

What a wonderful post! What a great word 'wonder' is. We can so often lose that part in our lives, a sense of wonder.

By the way, I really love my star with the word 'hope' on the back. Thanks again for this lovely piece.

Thanks to the link to Karen's blog, another lovely place to be inspired.

Hugs ~ FlowerLady

Michelle May said...

Love this post. Can't wait to see more of your creation. Looks so fun. Been thinking of you dear friend. Sending hugs.

Bead and Needle said...

I love this ledger idea...as long as I have quilted and beaded, color still makes me hyperventilate when I'm picking things out. Much love to you - hope today is a happy one! Tanya

Dorthe said...

Dear Gillayne,
yes the world is round, and I am on a different end as you are- both of us not falling over the edge, and I agree we have to try to find the good-great-wonderful things in life, even the negative,-pain-sorrow, is also there in between.
This is a very beautiful post,-you write so wonderful my friend---thankyou.
Hugs and love, Dorthe

Createology said...

Jillayne Dear your post is so beautifully written. I have such a wonderful visual as I read each word. Your newest project looks very interesting and I shall look forward to updates as they become available. I might send you any wind we get as I am not a fan of wind...especially with whatever allergy pollen is happening. Poor Wayne is sneezing his head off. Falling into Autumn Bliss...

Marj Talbot said...

Wind - nature's way of cleaning up and putting the leaves back into the earch. Lovely well-written post and I shall look forward to future posting of this project.

Alisa Noble said...

I saw bits of her ledger on Flickr and was quite intrigued.

karen said...

lovely post!! and I am so happy you are having fun in class!!
http://karenannruane.typepad.com/karen_ruane/

Mosaic Magpie said...

How exciting to be starting your ledger class. The "wonder" of all you will learn!
Deb

Draffin Bears said...

Hi Jillayne,

As the others have said, you write so beautifully and I enjoyed this post.
Love the embroiderers ledger and such a lovely idea.
Thanks for all you share and sending hugs and hope you have a lovely weekend

Hugs
Carolyn

teri said...

My dad used to recite the poem, "Who has seen the wind" for us. He learned it in school as a young boy and never forgot it over the years-- including some hand motions to accompany the recitation. Such a treasured memory for me.

Suztats said...

I adore Karen's work! I've been trying to get into one of her classes for ages, but circumstances have so far conspired against me.......so, I shall enjoy watching your journey with her ledger course. Have fun!