Sunday, October 14, 2012

Finishing Up

too funny - the post title is "finishing up" and the first picture is of something not completed...

that's me, a contradiction in terms

 

this is the beginning of my first block of the "jane becomes jillayne" quilt
the colour here is awful - in real life it's a beautiful greyed plum...pretty, pretty, pretty...

although there are those who will think "bleah"

but i laugh in the face of all you pretty-lovers -  it's my quilt and greyed it will be!

 

 what's finished is the binder
a little bit of patchwork, a little bit of lace and a little bit of embroidery
a little bit of all my favourite things
(this post could also have been called "little bitty" but Alan Jackson beat me to it!)


i faux-stitched the edge of the spine cover... in book binding the front and back covers are applied separately and the spine cover is added last - it's what "glues" it all together... so i fused interfacing to the wrong side and then blanket stitched along the edges and then glued (yes glued!) it on 


 i added pockets to the inside front and back covers to hold rulers etc.
simple, simple - folded in half, pinked the edges and sewed it on - when I get ambitious enough i'll blanket stitch the top edge to add durability


 lace hides the crummy job i did of cutting and gluing in the front inside cover pieces... 

"measure four times, cut/glue once'

 should be my mantra but it seems it's
"fly by the seat of your pants and hope for the best"!

i wonder if i'll ever learn?

and on the topic of wonder...

these past weeks i have been wondering when i could safely quit wearing waterproof mascara... and i am happy to say yesterday was the day!

i am so appreciative of all of your kind and thoughtful comments on my bozzy posts 
 they have comforted and enlightened me 

 the best path through grief is the one that is wide enough for your friends to accompany you from time to time along the way

thank you!
 

9 comments:

The French Bear said...

It's beautiful! I love the colors, I know, I am so in love with grey,lol. I have been busy stitching up a storm since I took Sue Spargo's course at Out of Hand, and yes I came broke but with lots of goodies, I can never get out of that store until I'm out of money!!!
How are you? I look at my little star and think of you everyday and it makes me want to creative!!!
Hugs,
Mags
xx

Createology said...

Oh your grey is beautiful and I adore your color choices. This binder cover is fabulous. I am swooning over how simple yet intricate and fun this is. You are amazing my dear. Tomorrow is 11 months without our beloved Sasha BooBoo kitty and there isn't a day we don't miss her, think of her and just feel an emptiness however the grateful opportunity to have experienced such a loving and faithful fur-child is far greater than the pain we feel. Tears are good for keeping our eyes clear and our hearts thankful. Blessings to you my dear friend...

suziqu's thread works said...

I really love those greyed out shades in our book cover and they are "your" colours and that's all that matters!
You have to love what you create otherwise it is a waste of time.

Thank you for allowing us to walk with you from time to time in your grief. I, for one, really understand this!
That path will become narrower as time goes by!

Love and hugs,
Suzy

Wendy said...

Your binder is gorgeous, the colours are perfect and the stitching is beautiful

karen said...

well I for one adore your colour choices....
http://karenannruane.typepad.com/karen_ruane/

Becca said...

Hi Jillayne! I am so happy you are feeling better, and I love the soft muted colors of your quilt!

Marj Talbot said...

Wonderful, absolutely lovely binder cover. The combinations of stitches and patches - really great. Colourwise - couldn't be nicer. Thanks tons for sharing an amazing project.

JennyPennyPoppy said...

Your binder cover design, sewing and stitching all look superb!

Tina @ TinyBear Studio said...

Your binder is wonderful Jillayne -love the colors. Also love those french knots around the octagons - great detail