Monday, August 27, 2012

some kind of wonderful

playing again
colour, paper, and paste
 

i was commissioned to make another collage of "the four blondes"
as my good friend likes to refer to herself and her three besties

this one is a birthday present for one of the girls


 this time i channeled my sixties hippie memories of favourite outfits
well - a little of the seventies may have crept in...


i had a wrap skirt awfully similar to this one, and an indian cotton white blouse with embroidery and beads - honestly, i don't think you could have made it through the seventies without one!

 

 never had red leather boots but wouldn't they have been smashing!?!



and these pants would be so much fun

my favourite pair were wide bell-bottomed, light blue denim, embroidered with an indian guru on the bottom outside of the leg....he was smoking a pipe and the smoke circled up and was intertwined with flowers all up the leg to about the knee
both legs were embroidered in the same manner and i absolutely adored those pants

i also had a pair of wide-legged striped pants in all the colours you see below - my mom made them for me and i always wore them with a brown turtleneck - always, always, always


 and of course, a little chanel-inspired suit

the bag is made of a piece of carved ivory from a bracelet left to me by my grand-mother
not the diagonal quilted look chanel dictated, but my own twist on it
rose-coloured suit
rose "quilted" bag


 it's like playing with paper dolls but you're not limited by the clothes that came in the package


on the far right is a hippie mini-kaftan


 i had a maxi and it was orange and brown and turquoise


and espadrilles


 pure play
pure colour
pure fun



 my friend thinks i did something wonderful for her
but methinks she did something wonderful for me when she asked me if i would....

and you know that she is... some kind of wonderful
 

14 comments:

Connie Eyberg Originals said...

Love this!!! What a fun project. It was like a walk down memory lane for me too. I had the flowered wide legged pants with matching mini kaftan. They could be worn together or as separates. Cute idea for a purse too. I just love it all.

Marj Talbot said...

This is so good - I REALLY enjoyed reading this one. And those dresses = how creative and real - so many possiblities. This is truly an addictive craft I have no doubt. Keep it up - thanks tons for sharing such beauty.

Michelle May said...

This is just sooooooooo totally cool! Oh my gosh! I love it!
xx

Tina @ TinyBear Studio said...

That´s a wonderful project Jillayne - so cool. I´m sure your friend will be thrilled.

Dorthe said...

Hi dear,
OH I had fun looking and reading this story from you- thinking back on my own robe from back then-and all the long skirts and hippie long hair,and after that the very short ones, with knee stockings !! OH MY we were good looking back then :-)
Your card is gorgeous Jillayne, I love it and all it tells.
Hugs from Dorthe

Diane Kelsey said...

I just love them, like you say a treat for both of you.

FredaB said...

This looks like so much fun. I think I will try this myself sometime.

Taking a lok through some old photo albums would sure give me some great ideas and horrible hairdos.

Hugs

FredaB

Roses, Lace and Brocante said...

Oh Jillayne

This is a wonderful post!!!
Taking me back to the 60's (yes afraid so) and 70's - I too was a flower power type gal for a while.
I had a couple of fave wrap skirts I made too.
I'm always saying "wish I'd kept that" - do you say that too?? Just for posterity and to show the grandkids!

Your sketches are amazing and I LOve your mix of papers and fabric.
Looks very like a little CHANEL bag to me - makes me think of Jackie Kennedy!!

LOve
Shane xox

Laura said...

Ohhhhh Mom. You have seriously outdone yourself this time!! I love how you incorporated the piece from Grandma Do's bracelet - it fits perfectly with the scene and makes it even more special.

Robin said...

What a beautiful piece! Love the textures and colors that go along with the stories. Have a great day.

Hugs,
Robin

Createology said...

This is like a photo album of me and my sisters in the sixties and seventies. Your paper doll blondes are super cute and I can see you had lots of fun creating them. Groovy...

Wendy said...

Wow this is fabulous! I dream of being able to creat art like this!

Alisa Noble said...

Ohmygosh, this is fantastic, Jillayne! Loving the little Chanel number. And those red boots... have you seen that Sandra Bullock movie "All About Steve"? She wears red boots like those all through the movie.... Awesomeness!

Nook and Cranny said...

I so love this....
I had a pair of white denim bell bottom jeans that I adored.
What fun you must have had creating this piece/gift
Thanks for sharing
Michele