Monday, August 20, 2012

is it real?

or is it memorex???
(you have to be of a certain age to get that one!)


so many times when i am making something i wonder where the idea came from

 all of the things that we see, hear, and read come together in our brains and form new thoughts, ideas and visuals

 hard as i try to create my own designs i know that somewhere along the way, something influenced me


i'm working on a banner for a class sample and wanted to design my own lettering


i resolutely refrained from looking at fonts on here or in books or cards
and just drew from what was in my own head


and half-an-eraser-later i came up with this


designed by me, influenced from the world i live in

as i look at the pictures i see little design flaws - the wrong curve here, too wide of a slant there,
details sure enough, that probably don't really matter except when you have an eraser in your hand...

banners and garlands aren't new at all, and i'm not likely to be inventing anything remotely new or stunning here but i can tell you that what i am doing is as much of my own thinking as possible in a world full of people who are playing with the same toys

and i'm thinking to myself, and apparently to all of you since i am typing this on my blog, that whatever i conjure up, it will be of my doing

"it will be real"
 

9 comments:

Dorthe said...

Goodmorning dear Gillayne,
yes isen`t it strange to think that what we think we create ourself, are without doubt influenced by things seen or heard ,somewher in the world-,or in the life.
I often think the same thoughts when working on a piece, and know in my hearth that often it is things I have admired somewhere else, that influences me ,and make my brain and hands create as I do,m without even thinking!!!!
It is very difficult-
Your banner will be a pretty and sweet own constructed piece - as you write influenced by the world we live in.
Have fun finishing your "resl" piece dear friend.
Hugs,Dorthe

Createology said...

Wonderful post as I too think I am never original. "Everything old is new again" and I do see things in blogland that someone says they just made up but in actuality my grandmother was doing decades ago (and it wasn't her original idea either). We each put our own spin or character on "our designs". This banner looks wonderful and like a lot of fun. I hope you post photos after the class is completed. Blissful Creativity Dear...

Marj Talbot said...

Yes I often hear/see things that someone has just passed on as a great idea when my mother taught us that many moons ago. But that's OK as maybe there's many others that hadn't heard of it. We all learn from each other and fortunately there are people like you Jillayne that like to share your ideas/projects with everyone. You are such an inspiration and a delight to be around. Thanks for all that you share with us.

Becky Shander said...

I'm glad to see that you've been busy doing your own "real" thing. Keep playing...the results are very special.

Cheryl said...

I like the fact you've made your own letters. I'm way to anal to do that lol...
big hugs,
cheryl

Michelle May said...

I like your own designs. So much fun and so very you.
xx

Roses, Lace and Brocante said...

Dear Jillayne
I can see this banner will be very much YOU and real - made with letters penned by your hand!

Lovely to see you at my blog - yes they are Shepherds Bush - I love her designs too.
I've started one for Jessie, so she isn't left out this Christmas!

hugs
Shane

karen said...

love your letters and I'm all for people thinking for themselves. I take my hat off to you!

Monica said...

You're so kind and sweet, Jillayne, and I'm glad we have connected.
Plenty of food for thought here- nothing we create is new or unique, but it actually is at the same time. Sometimes I see something "new" on a blog I have thought of or made many years ago... I was astounded to see a vase of roses I actually painted more than a decade ago, painted in a very similar way by another known artist who couldn't have seen it in any way, as I never made it public. Our ideas are definitely in an abundant, constant "stream" from which everyone can draw. So wonderful, isn't it!
xo