Sunday, August 12, 2012

An Obvious Truth

weird how things sometimes just fall into your lap 

i wanted to finish the little elf shoe today - it's been hanging out on my work table long enough


it was looking pretty plain and as august is my month of sparkle and bling i decided it needed a bit of a shoe-shine

i found this charming little antique button with just enough of it's sparkle remaining, and just enough of it worn away....


i suppose you could say i'm getting my feet wet slowly

it was much easier to do the next step...crinkled paper strips to fill the cavity...

i pulled out an old music book of french songs and started cutting strips with my zigzag cutter
fun, fun, fun - it's like making paper ricrac
(have you ever made paper ricrac - i think i'm hooked!)


 when i got out the camera to take the pictures i focused in on the song title
and then me being me, i had to google it

it's a song from the 17th century about a french military leader, by the name of jacques de la palice

taken from his epitaph, the last line was misconstrued a few years after and rather than being read that if he wasn't dead he would still be envied, it was re-written that if he wasn't dead he would still be alive

and a new word was born

lapallisade.... an obvious truth


it was an obvious truth to me that i needed more light and sparkle in my life



and as usual, the universe has a habit of confirming the things so i remember they are true



7 comments:

Dorthe said...

Goodmorning dear Gillayne,
love your more blingy elf shoe,I`m all to bling and glitter, as you know-I guess :-) ) and the ric-rac pieces looks wonderful inside,so sweet , This is also on my to-do list, but where does the time run....and I alwayes have to prioritate the things I "know" can be sold in my real shop!! not alwayes so funny!
Hope your monday will be sunny and happy dear friend.
Hugs,Dorthe

Karen said...

The Universe was right! "Sparkle" is just perfect. You just got my morning off to a sparkling start and reminded me to be thankful for this wonderful day. Thank you, too, for the explanation of lapallisade. Your elf shoe is lovely!

Shirley said...

Hi Jillayne, I am reading a few blogs before I leave for the city to the doctor's office. I really like your elf shoe. It has the right amount of sparkle. I have been working on a custom order of a lap quilt. I have changed the color of the flowers as the receiver does not like blue. It is progressing. Hope you have a wonderful day and week. Take care. Hugs from Your Missouri Friend.

Marj Talbot said...

Great idea for some of those music books that I don't favour too much. The elf shoe is so cute - just enough sparkle. You could imagine it dancing about in the dark. Hope you have a great day and thanks for sharing.

oldgreymare said...

adorable shoe for an elf..have enough energy to make a pair? solo shoes always make me sad, whether alongside the road or dangling from phone wires..though in the city we never see those anymore..
the lone shoe, always makes me ponder the missing one? this one is so darling I assume another elf, greedy for such bling, snatched one for his little self... <3

Createology said...

Sew adorable and I can just imagine the cute little elf looking for his shoe. When Fiskars first came out with all the decorative scissor edges I could only afford one pair every so often so I would try all the combinations they suggested. I have made paper ric rac and it is fun! Your sparkle and play have come together in a perfect little bit of magic. Blissful dear...

JennyPennyPoppy said...

I've never thought of making paper rick rack from old music and we definitely have enough of that in the house. Your elf shoe is very cute and the antique button on the end fits perfectly.