Tuesday, July 31, 2012

pitter patter

so about that posting more often thing

my feet have been pitter-pattering like crazy these days

and work has a terrible way of cutting into the day
 i've been putting in a few extra shifts these past weeks - like six days a week for three weeks
ick is all i can say
but this is the last of it and then things slow way down

on the flip side, my sewing room has never been this neat for this long
on the flippier side, i think that's kind of a sad thing


i bought this elf shoe tutorial from the feathered nest a while back and thought i might give my feet a rest and do a little soft shoe thing tonight

the pattern suggests using cardboard in the sole but i couldn't find any so i used fusible batting and glued in a piece of wire - i think it worked just fine

 

found a forlorn little bell for the toe
{if i want to make a pair i'll have to find another forlorn little bell - or i could mismatch them and make funky elf shoes - that might be fun...}


 i got as far as trimming the opening with some scraps of lace and decided that's enough for one night, after all, i should really ease my way back in gradually

baby steps

it's ironic my word for july was "play", as i had almost no time to do any
but maybe that's the point of it
maybe in order to know how important something really is, i have to do the exact, extreme opposite for it to really sink in
and believe me, it sunk in...deeply

i was looking at all my words the other day and they all kind of came together and i could see they aren't an odd or disparate collection but a growing body of thought with the message coming through a little at a time so i can absorb it well

august is coming, and with it another word

i hope it's rest!

15 comments:

suziqu's thread works said...

You really are going to appreciate that time back in your studio after all this extra work you have been doing.
The pitter patter in your room though with that dear little elf shoe must have bought you some wonderful pleasure.
Thanks to Dawn you have created such a special one you can adorn your studio with!
Have a good rest soon!
Hugs,
Suzy

Dorthe said...

Dear Jillayne,
You worked so much - and only having one day off work, do not give much time for enjoying creating at home,also.
I`m happy for you, my sweet, that you can now get a little time for yourself again.
I love the tiny elf shoe, I could need some time myself for doing such sweetnes as you made ,with dear Dawns pattern.
Hope you can relax a bit more now.
Hugs,Dorthe

Marj Talbot said...

Lovely elf shoe - could be a people slipper??? I really like the lace trim - very nice. Another word hmmmmmm well, enjoy comes to mind - there is so much enjoyment to be had in any sewing room. Creating any project is enjoyable and with a sense of acomplishment comes the feeling of rest.

Createology said...

You have painted the picture so well...play is what we are missing so we appreciate it all the more when it happens. Your little elf shoe is super adorable and I think the one little bell is perfect. Your working is really getting in the way of your playing, resting, enjoying and generally living life. My wish for you Jillayne Dear is that you find "the balance" very soon. Sunshine Summer Smiles...

Draffin Bears said...

Hi Jillayne,

Sorry that you have not had much time to play, and I hope now that we are in August you might be able to have more time to do what you love.
How lovely your little shoe is and must be fun seeing them come together.

Happy rest of the week
Hugs
Carolyn

Tina @ TinyBear Studio said...

I know exactly what you mean about not having enogh time Jillayne - work and family are cutting my days over her. I like your idea of having a word for every month - mine need to be rest too and a little bit of enjoy and play. hmmm - that was 3.
Love your little elf shoe.
Hope you get some time in your studio soon - we need that to keep us insane, right... :-)

karen said...

such a cute little shoe!! Thanks for the comment too!

Connie Eyberg Originals said...

You do play well when you get the chance. This shoe is adorable. I'm glad to hear work is beginning to slow for you. If the opposite happened this month, maybe you should choose the word 'work' and see if the opposite happens again.

Monica said...

I'd happily join in, Jillayne! I have been working like a powerhouse for too long! Now we'd both deserve a little vacation, right? Enjoy your rest.

Michelle May said...

Work always gets in the way of all our fun! Phooey!
Love this little shoe. Too cute!

Suztats said...

A cute little elf shoe, Jillayne. I hope it brings you more play time.

Roses, Lace and Brocante said...

Oh they're the sweetest little elf shoes - they make me feel like dancing!!!

Thank you so much for your kind comment on my return - I am very touched with the messages from my blog friends.
You've all helped to lift my spirits.

Hope you get more time in August to have fun and create!
xox
Shane

vicki archer said...

so cute...hope your August is a little more restful...have a lovely weekend... xv

teri said...

Your blog is lovely.

I think many of us go on hiatus during one season or another. I'm more active in summer because my work season is slower now.

Those shoes are adorable. Reminds me of Tinker Bell. :-)

Laura said...

Not to state the obvious, but I don't quite think "rest" is it for you this month, Mama Bear. Nice try though ;)