Monday, July 9, 2012

The Glad Game

Did you ever read "Pollyanna"?
Do you remember the Glad Game...?

Walt Disney was de rigeur in our house, every Sunday night at 6:00
if dinner wasn't already over we would beg our Mom to let us roll the television into the dining room to watch the show

Pollyanna was a big favourite and the Glad Game struck a chord... I never played it by her rules, but kinda sorta followed my own version - usually by trying to find something good out of things that were bad... not always easy, but you tried anyhow


a few months ago I posted about a visit to the local antique store - remember, when Joe Crow pooped on me?

many of you said it was lucky, and now I think you may have been right

I saw a cabinet there, that day, from the old days of the Canadian National Railway

 it had all sorts of cubbies and slots and things - the kind of thing that would be just fine for a bunch of book-binding paraphernalia


even a nifty drawer to hide away really "important" stuff


my brain whirred and rattled along, imagining what I could put where, but at the end of it all, it was too much money and off I went, with the trusty cigar box under my arm and a wish in my heart


Saturday found me back there, warily looking up as I passed through the alley-way,
 looking for paper for my Remains of the Day book

 what I found was the cabinet... still there, still gathering dust
...and it seemed there was a deal to be had

today I hauled it home, washed it off and had me some fun!

I started with this assortment on the top...


 but quickly decided I liked this look much better


 and then spent a few happy hours cleaning, sorting and organizing, moving and re-arranging, getting all my book-binding supplies just so


I'm so glad it was still there...
glad the price came down to something I could afford
glad I went there that day
 glad I had the perfect place to put it
glad I have it to hold my treasures
glad for the treasures to put in it

lucky me indeed

as I was putting things to rights, I couldn't help but think of how much fun it would have been to have a cabinet like this when I was young...it would have made playing office AMAZING

or if I'd had it when my own children were little; they would have claimed it for their games - post office comes to mind...
each would have claimed a cubby for their own, and we would have left letters and messages all day long
I can just see them now, figuring out something for stamps, and finding letter openers in the drawers of everyday

imagination days

I'm glad for much



17 comments:

Tina @ TinyBear Studio said...

That cabinet is perfect Jillayne. Lucky you. I would love to have a cabinet like this to store my paper and bookbinding suppliers too. Wish I lived closer so I could visit and make books with you. How fun would that be.

The English Romantic said...

I'm so ''glad'' you bought the shelves, what a marvelous find.
It's a great mantra to live by, Pollyanna got it so right.
Hugs, Angela.

suziqu's thread works said...

What an absolute beauty Jillayne!
To even find such a piece is a treasure in itself!
I can see how perfect it is for your book and journal making projects and it looks like you took no time at all to fill it!
Have fun,
Suzy

FlowerLady said...

What a wonderful cabinet and it looks right at home with you. Love your pieces on top too.

Enjoy ~ FlowerLady

Suztats said...

Wow! How perfect! Enjoy.

Dorthe said...

YOU was truly lucky, my dear Gillayne,
that cabinet is a wonderful furnichure, and I would have loved it in my home,too.
It looks great with all your book binder supplyes,and sweet decorations on the top.
And it is amazing what happy thoughts such a thing can start in our minds-
remembering good and happy hours gone by.
Maybe you will have grandkids playing post office there,!!!
Hugs to you dear.
Dorthe

Robin said...

It's an adorable piece and looks just wonderful with all your bookbinding goodies tucked away in it! So glad you were able to get a deal on it, always make it worth the wait. Hope you are having a wonderful week.

Hugs,
Robin

Createology said...

This is serendipitous for your bookbinding supplies. How great that this special cabinet was able to wait for you to come back and give it a good home. I love it and can think of lots of lucky ways to enjoy it. Happy Joyful Lucky You My Dear...

Mosaic Magpie said...

Okay, this is a major score! First of all you are big in the bookbinding business these days and this is just PERFECT for that. Yes you may have liked to have had it before and it would have been nice for you to have had it years ago, but now is the time. You finding this cabinet, for it not to have been sold to someone else, for you to have all those lovely papers and supplies to fill it with, means it was meant for you! It is an affrimation that you are doing just what you are meant to be doing. Or it could be you just got lucky and found a neat cabinet.....I prefer the meant to be story! I am GLAD you found it or it found you...oh here we go again.
Deb

Elizabeth Maxson said...

Oh I don't which is luckier...you for finding the cabinet, or the cabinet for having such a wonderful place to call home! I just love cubby holes and all the neat stuff to pile in them. So happy whenever you visit my site and thank you so much for such a very lovely and thoughtful comment you left for me. It really made my day. I enjoyed reading it over again and again.

Thank you for sharing such wonderful pieces of your life.

Big hugs
Elizabeth :-)

Michelle May said...

Woo hoo!!! What a score! I love it!Yep, that crow poop was lucky indeed!
xx

Monica said...

See, it was meant to be yours... it couldn't find a more perfect home to live its second life around! I've always wanted a cabinet like that, and Pollyanna was, and still is, one of my favorite books- I am starting to believe we have so much in common!
xo

Bead and Needle said...

Lucky you, INDEED! Hi, Jillayne...been on an extended vacation - playing catch-up on reading this morning. LOVE your lucky find - Happy Summer! XOXO Tanya

FredaB said...

Sometimes certain things are meant to be. The fact it was still there and reduced to your affordable price was meant to be. Plus it is from the Canadian National Railways and that alone is worth the price in history.

I would love to find a treasure like that. Good for you. I also like the way you have put all your stuff in and above. Great job.

Hugs

FredaB

Draffin Bears said...

Hi Jillayne,

Pollyanna,( a favourite ) playing shops and post offices were things we used to love doing.
I love your new cabinet and so glad that you were lucky to have it come home with you. Looks like the perfect cabinet for all your supplies.

happy new week
Hugs
Carolyn

Celestina Marie said...

Hi Jillayne,
What a grand find and you worked it so wonderfully with your treasures finding a special spot. Don't you wonder what people and things were housed in this great treasure? You gave it a new life.
We loved Pollyanna too and loved playing games like store, post office etc.

Hope you are enjoying the summer.
Happy Creating,
Celestina Marie XOXO

Laura said...

I can't believe that no one else in town saw it for the treasure it could be! And you're right - it would have been fun to have it around when we were little!

I had no idea you had so many scrapbooking supplies... I'm sure Dad didn't either ;)