Saturday, July 7, 2012

The Etude

etude: (noun) 
1. a piece of music for the practice of a point of technique
2. a composition built on a technical motive but played for it's artistic value

my favourite thing we did in Grade 5 was learning to use the dictionary

the teacher supplied a list of words and we had to find them, and write down the page, column, and place within the column

I still have a hard cover dictionary and every so often I will pick it up, open to a random page and begin reading

 

tonight I started working on a special project for a good friend and as I was gluing this scrap of music down I wondered what "etude" really meant - I knew it had something to do with musical composition but that was about as far as it went
(I lost my way in music class when the teacher started introducing upside down notes, in much the same way things went in math when letters were added to the mix...)


the dictionary definition of etude resonated with me, as loud and clear as the notes one contains

sometimes I make things solely to learn a technique; a study piece if you will - not meant to be anything but the learning of a process

other times, the desired end-state overrides and/or overwhelms any techniques required to get there

it's a good word - suits me just fine either way

my "Remains of the Day" journal cover lies under definition #1
simply trying to learn a process, following the bouncing ball, hitting the notes as they were written for my first try 

the next one will be me branching out, finding my own way to play, changing the tempo, and playing with the arrangement

the cover is set aside for now and I am gathering papers for the pages
 I have very little ephemera or other paper, except some scrap-booking paper and the odd tidbit I have saved over the past few weeks
not sure how they will all combine - definitely not a symphony in the making but perhaps a cute little ditty?


 tomorrow I'll start sewing them all together, and hopefully get some inspiration for finishing the cover... I'm not really happy with it yet but like all good books, maybe it needs it's pages to become whole


maybe words are what the cover needs too...
time for a little of definition #2?

7 comments:

Becca said...

Can't wait to see what you do with this Jillayne! Love the play on the word...Etude...I play piano and I love this!

Crafty Green Poet said...

A very interesting project!

Alisa Noble said...

Ahhh, just what I needed today, as this has been spinning 'round my head for the last week or so. Something I need more of and now I have a word for it.
Excellent! I love how the universe works this way.

Mosaic Magpie said...

Oh my dear, you have a delightful way of writing a post! Very freeing to the soul #2!
Deb

Dorthe said...

Sweet Gillayne,
as alwayes so lovely to visit your blog.... your ramblings are making thoughts come and go, and me wondering about so many things, my dear-
Thankyou.
I love your beginnings on those new creations, and hope you will show the finished results---- also love the word :Etude- and hearing it, at once can see (for my inner eye) a beautiful danish ballet called Etude!
Hope your week-end have been cosy and great.
Hugs ,Dorthe-xx

Createology said...

I am so happy to see you are playing with your Remains of the Day journal. This is beautiful. You are right about it will complete as it progresses...HUH? Well it makes sense to me, Ollie.
Summer Sunshine Smiles Dear...

Monica said...

As for me, I really LOVE your cover!
x