Sunday, June 10, 2012

The City of Love

The Mr. and I are heading off for a little vacation

off to San Francisco
to visit family and share in the joy of a wedding
 in the City of Love
first of all the nieces and nephews
so excited!


so I am going to be absent for a bit

I'm looking forward to this little vacation - I'm in serious need of a change of scenery
major thinking to be done
and my head is already aching from the thought of it

I was reading an article the other day and had one of those lightening bolt moments

sometimes I hate them because they usually indicate a whole lot of pondering is coming my way, and I just did not have time for that kind of thing this week!

but there it was, a word that seemed to define the past few years of me and my two jobs

obligation

sometimes it's a good word, but that day, the day I read it in the article, it wasn't a good word at all

it had all sorts of darkness to it, as if it was typed in bold face, with that dark shading words sometimes have, and I could feel the weight of it settling on me, regardless of whether I wanted to think about it or not

and I realized it has been a defining thing in how I spend my days, and what I do with my time, and I don't even know why

so while we're zipping along those beautiful by-ways, I'll be thinking simple thoughts about what obligations I should be holding on to and what ones should be let go of

and maybe by the time we get there I'll be ready to wear some flowers in my hair




14 comments:

dianehobbit said...

Have a great time in San Francisco and have fun with your family. I hope you manage to make the right decision for you. X

KW said...

Safe travels.........can't wait to see you!

Dorthe said...

Oh dearest Gillayne, I so hope the flowers will be in your hair,- and I praY,that you don`t feel your blogging belongs to your obligations, as I would miss you so much,if you dissapered from here, my friend.
So while sending my hopes on to you, I wish you a wonderful vacation, and lovely meeting with family, and hope you will return refresched and happy.
Hugs and love,Dorthe

Connie Eyberg Originals said...

Going to San Fran and having a good time enjoying the people you are around sounds like a good "obligation" to have. Enjoy your trip. I do know what you mean by the connotations associated with the word though. I guess it is a matter of perspective.

Createology said...

Safe Travels Dear. Your holiday will be refreshing and your decisions will be the best ones for you. Hugs...

Michelle May said...

Safe and fun travels sweets. I have let go of many bad obligations. Took a long time, but it feels so good. Wishing you clear thoughts on your obligations.
xx

Mosaic Magpie said...

Safe travels and just forget about those obligations right now. You are not obligated to ponder on obligations.....relax, let your creative mind wander and weave some flowers in your hair...take time to smell them too!
Deb

The French Bear said...

Happy travels, may it bring you lots of new ideas and inspirations!!! Have a good rest too.
Hugs,
Mags
xx

Marj Talbot said...

Best wishes for a great trip and safe return. Hopefully there will be the odd quilt shop that crosses your path.
Obligations are not a matter of life or death, and what appears to be an obligation may not be one at all. It's a matter of interpretation = you decide.
Good thoughts, good times, good family, great vacation. :>)

Draffin Bears said...

Hi Jillayne,

Have a wonderful vacation and enjoy the family wedding.
Hope you come back with lots of inspiration, refreshed and renewed.

Safe travels
Hugs
Carolyn

Furniture Sets said...

Hey

This has brightened my day! Never have thought in that way before! I really appreciate you for posting such a nice and useful post.

Alisa Noble said...

Hope you are enjoying yourself and feeling a bit lighter!

Connie said...

Hello, I just found your lovely blog, and hope that you can stir-up some motivation in me to do more sewing. I have just started getting back into it, with small projects like aprons and market bags. For the past ten years my sewing has been only mending and replacing buttons when they have fallen off.
I do hope you have a wonderful trip and a grand visit with your family. San Francisco is such a lovely city, one of the prettiest I have ever visited.
After you return and get rested from your trip, please come by for a visit, my welcome mat is always out. Your newest follower, Connie :)

Suztats said...

Jillayne, I hope those unnecessary obligations have been swept out the window on a sweet summer breeze as you spurt down the highway on your adventure. May you enjoy your holiday, and return refreshed. Safe and happy travels!