Tuesday, May 8, 2012

What a Lucky Bit of Luck


 every once in a while I have the great good luck to be in the right place at the right time
and if I'm really, really lucky, and a little bit smart, I'll recognize the moment for what it is and seize upon it

I did that a few months back when Deb from The Mosaic Magpie admired a book I had made and offered to buy it

I thought it would be way more fun to do a swap....
and she had been making these amazing stitched "pebbles"

 

so I suggested it, and she, being a like-minded, good luck sort of gal, agreed.
lucky me again


this is the stunning little pebble she sent me
all those tiny, perfect stitches
all those perfect subtle colours

breath-taking


Deb also included this beautiful necklace

buttons

some heavenly doilies

and much, much more

lovely, thoughtful gifts!

I guess now I'm going to have to be even smarter about being lucky...
the Government of Canada just minted the last of the pennies this past week

pennies will be no more in Canada
apparently it costs more to make a penny than a penny... kind of an odd thing really

no more pennies means no more lucky pennies
I wonder if they thought of that before they did the penny in....


no more lucky pennies
oh sure, they'll be in circulation for a while, but eventually they will all be pulled, just like the $1 bill was

and finding a lucky penny will be even more special
I've had a few over the years, like the one pictured above
found in the airport coffee shop after checking in, on our way to France a year ago
and deposited back on the floor of the same coffee shop upon our return

now that was a lucky penny...

I think I'll go buy a few rolls, to tuck away, just to share the wealth a little
for a little while longer


14 comments:

Laura said...

Well if I didn't feel old before... now I am going to have to tell my children "when I was little there was a $2 bill AND there were pennies."

Crap.

Diane said...

Deb's pebble is gorgeous!!! I must check these out!

XO Diane

Mosaic Magpie said...

I am delighted with our heART swap and that you liked the pebble. My book is right beside my chair, it serves as a constant reminder of you and our friendship.
No more pennies...yes, buy a couple of rolls you will be glad you did. We can never have too many lucky pennies.
Deb

Bead and Needle said...

Your pennies must have helped out in your swap, lucky girl! Actually, there was no luck involved - just sheer talent! BEAUTIFUL pebble and necklace. And, you might just have to come to the states for your lucky Canadian pennies from here on out - seems I find one in my possession here, all the time! Happy Wednesday, Jillayne...Tanya

Createology said...

You and Deb are very smart to not only admire one another's heART but to share a swap. Some things money cannot buy! Your book and your pebble are priceless. Made with love from the heart cannot be bought with mere dollars and pennies. Blissful swap dear...

suziqu's thread works said...

Jillayne both your book/journal and Deb's pebble are so beautiful and what a lovely swap you made of it!
Yes a lucky penny for a lucky girl!
It may be worth investing in a few more as they are taken out of currency.
Happy creating,
Hugs and love,
Suzy

Marie Lost Bird Studio said...

Hi Jillayne,
you and Deb had a wonderful swap.Deb's pebble and your book are such treasures.Have a lovely weekend.
Hugs,
Marie

Pretty Things said...

The pebble is lovely -- and so sad about the pennies. Here in the US I'm not sure what the concensus is going to be, but I know in the military BXs, they no longer use pennies, and round up or down for your purchase.

Roses, Lace and Brocante said...

Hi Jillayne
The pebbles that Deb embroiders are exquisite and will become heirlooms I'm sure.

I've had a lovely wander through your blog too and found the post about the journal you made!
It is beautiful and the touches of Coco Chanel are so special - Deb has a future heirloom now too!

I've just become your newest follower and look forward to visiting often.
Do come and visit me one day and I'll get out my prettiest teacups and the welcome mat!!!

Shane x

Marj Talbot said...

Great idea to swap - both of you are winners and can now treasure your heirlooms. There's so much talent everywhere. Keep up the great work.

Deb Paxton Valley Folk Art said...

Wonderful swap treasures Jillayne, that pebble is breathtaking! I am so sad to see the penny go, think of all the sayings and ditty's that will make no sense at all to those who will follow us; penny for your thoughts; see a penny pick it up ...., etc. Think I'm going to stockpile a few rolls too for old times sake ;O) Happy Mother's Day to you!

Celestina Marie said...

Hi Jillayne,
What a great swap. I love Deb's work and of course she was lucky to have your awesome creation too.
Love the necklace and the goodies she included for you.
I think it is too bad about the penny ending. It really will be a lucky penny to find once they are completely ended.
Love the pic of yours.

Have a nice rest of the weekend.
Hugs, Celestina Marie

Draffin Bears said...

Hi Jillayne,

What a lovely swap with Deb, her getting one of your beautiful books and you getting her exquisite pebble, necklace and all the treasures.
Seems a shame when they take coins out of circulation, over in NZ they have done the same thing.

Happy week
Hugs
Carolyn

JennyPennyPoppy said...

Deb's encrusted pebble is indeed fabulously made and stitched. When I have time one of these days I'd like to try my hand at one as well. I'm keeping a few pennies that are now with the paper 1 dollar bill and a paper 2 dollar bill. Wonder what will be the next to go.