Monday, May 28, 2012

The Merry Month of May

 I'm still playing around with bits and pieces, and snippets

so glad I chose that word for May
it's really the first time a word has grabbed at me all month long - maybe because it's about creative fun as opposed to self-improvement....hmmmm

anyhow, here's the latest adventure
 

I'm teaching a Christmas Card class tonight
part of my "Twelve Months of Christmas" classes at the local quilt shop

I couldn't decide on just one or two so I made a variety pack

 crazy quilting for sure, 'cause it's my favourite
I had bought some clip on earrings at the local antique store
they were dirt cheap as they'd been there a spell


I cut, pulled, pried and yanked the clips off the backs - not easy at all
but so worth it - the green and gold ones reminded me of little wreaths

 then I moved on to snowmen...

the background is torn strips of plaid that are woven
with the little figures appliqued on top

 

see how they're "holding sticks"?
kind of like holding hands but a little bit different
just a little bit


fiddly fabric fun

this is the elegant one
easy peasy, except for trying to blanket stitch with stranded metallic thread - yeesh!



and this is the simplest of all...
a pieced background with a muslin label
and some pigma penmanship

there are still a few more ideas floating around my head but for now I am moving on

June's a-coming, and there's more adventures a-waiting!



14 comments:

Mosaic Magpie said...

Love them all and those cute snow people holding twiggy hands with the torn strip background, are my favorite. I have such a time with that metallic stranded thread too. Do you think anyone can really stitch with it??? If so I wish they would clue me in. Even if you did struggle with yours, it does not show in the final product. So you must be doing something right with it. I end up with a knotted mess.....maybe it would be good for stitching fancy bird nests.
Deb

FlowerLady said...

I love all of these too.

Beautiful work as always.

FlowerLady

Suztats said...

What a cute snow-couple! I wonder if my Mr. S. will find someone special, too. lol
I really like the tree decorations,and thought the metallic thread can be a headache, it really adds a nice sparkle. Finding the jewelery pieces was perfect luck!

The English Romantic said...

Your work is always so beautiful Jillayne, I love the snow men.

I'm told by the ladies at the Jane Austin museum that if you email them they can send you templates for the coverlet,( it only has two layers and so is not really a quilt.)
I'm going to email today.
Smiles, Angela.

Laura said...

I thought the patchwork one was cute... until I saw the snowmen! Adorable!! A MUST make for your sale this year.

Marj Talbot said...

All are lovely as usual. Crazy quilting is definitely a favourite. I agree with Laura - the snowmen are adorable. Love them all. Thanks for sharing.

dianehobbit said...

Some lucky ladies are in for some fun.

Michelle May said...

Love those cards Jillayne! How fun! Would love to have taken your class.
xx

Deb said...

Love the cards they are all so sweet, the snowmen are just too cute and the Joy card is my favorite.

I too use old clip on earrings and I found a cutter for removing button shanks works well due to the curved tip.

Createology said...

Jillayne Dear you have done it again. Your cards have wowed me and I adore each of them. How fun to take a class with you as the teacher. Your creative spirit is blissful. I may have to "borrow" some of your beautiful card ideas for my holiday makings this year. Thank you for such fantastic inspiration.

Wendy said...

As always your work is just beautiful, I'm in love with the little snowpeople.

Dorthe said...

Dear Gillayne, your crasy quilt is so very beautiful, and the snowmen CUTE,love the striped background and their attitude-they looks as if they have had some hot glasses of wine,lol
I`m sure your class will have lots of fun doing those wonderful things with you.'Happy week-end dear.
Hugs,Dorthe

Maggie said...

Jill I am trying a new address so bear with me if you get two of these thanks see you soon

Diane said...

Sew pretty, Jillayne, as always. :-)

XO Diane