Monday, April 30, 2012

Oddments and Snippets

and so it continues...

I bought this bobbin-type thing a long time ago - 
I walked into the local antique store to see what was what and there it was, just inside the door

it leaped off the table, into my hand, and straight into my heart


last week, in my fit of organizing, I wrapped some burlap around the centre and then
 some of my favourite fragments of lace

 

all secured with beaded pearl-topped pins

I love the metal wrapping on the ends.
it's all worn and dented, banged up from years of use as a...

haven't a clue - no idea what life it lived before it came to live in my sewing room,
but what a retirement it has now; a harbour for old lace.


I think I like this kind of organization

which is a good thing as the closet is next on the list...
but then again, tomorrow is May, and a new month means a new word

I'm mulling over "procrastinate"
it has a nice ring to it...


after I tidied, I played a while in Photoshop
I love what that girl does with a photograph!

everything looks pretty when it's misty
and whether or not the picture's in focus is unimportant!

below you'll find pictures of a beautiful gift I received from Tina @ Tinybear Studio

Tina's been playing lately with snippets
snippets of fabric, snippets of lace, snippets of embroideries
bits of thread, oddments of cloth


I think they're adorable and she sent me the prettiest one!

you really must go and see all the wonderful things she has made with the tiniest bits of magic
I promise you'll be inspired!

I was so inspired that I have chosen

snippets

as my word for May

I guess this means the closet is still next on the list

humbug is another good word

15 comments:

Brynwood Needleworks said...

Love your choice of "snippets", but "procrastinate" is pretty funny, too!

I love all your pretty laces stored on that vintage bobbin. I adore mine, too, and I use them for twill tapes.

I hope you have a wonderful day.

xoxo
Donna

Marj Talbot said...

How does one ever clear out with so many uses for the tiniest of snippets? I think I'll continue to pile them up and eventually make a comfy spot for Molly.
Thanks for sharing - organization of laces still on my to do list.

Petite Michelle Louise said...

a sweet transformation of that spool! love! and tina's sweet, petite gift is lovely. lucky you! ;)

Bead and Needle said...

Great treasure find...and I love what you've done with the cigar box and laces...Organized, indeed! I am in the midst of closet cleaning, also - would rather be doing what you're doing. Happy Tuesday, Jillayne - Tanya

JennyPennyPoppy said...

Certainly like what you've done with the over-sized bobbin! I too enjoy Kim Klassen's site, her up-dates and textures. My May word is: wunderschon :)

Kim Budash said...

What you have there is a bobbin from an old textile mill. Some people make candle holders out of them, you put lace on them, they can be used for all sorts of things.

Just thought you might want to know what it is.

Dorthe said...

Dear Jillayne,your bobbin looks so wonderful and "happy" in it`s new life, and being with all the other wonderfully wrapped bobbins it is a lovely "life"-I can read above it comes from a textila mill, so it have not been so luxuresly "dressed" bedore I think!
Dear friend I love your posts and your wonderful writing, visiting you gives me something to think about, and alwayes makes me feel good.
Sweet heart from Tina!
Wish you a happy tuesday Jillayne.
Hugs and love,Dorthe

Becky Shander said...

Again...such beautiful things here. And your photos capture it all perfectly.

Createology said...

Jillayne your laces are being so beautifully organized and are at the ready for you to make your wonderful creations with them. That little heart made of snippets is lovely. Such a treasured gift. Marvelous May to you Dear...

Celestina Marie said...

Hi Jillayne,
Love your word for May. Life seems to be like that in all areas. Little snippets of this and that.
I adore your organization. The old wooden spool is awesome. I love it with the lace and I have a few that I have done this way as well. Been collecting them for some time and have always loved to decorate with them.
Your little gift is precious. Happy May Day.
Hugs, Celestina Marie

Draffin Bears said...

Hi Jillayne,

I love how you have organized your pretty laces around the old bobbin.
Also how sweet the heart is from Tina.
Thanks for your visit and wishing you a happy May

Hugs
Carolyn

Mary Ann said...

Oh so beautiful! The heart and that spool of lace!!!!
Mmmmmmm

Mosaic Magpie said...

That wooden bobbin never looked so good! Dressed in all that beautiful lace. Snippets is great word, little snippets of time can add up to something wonderful, just like that little heart! Such a sweet idea.
Deb

Michelle May said...

I love that spool! Everything looks so beautifully organized. As for snippets...I now have lots of wool snippets to do something with. Oye.

Diane said...

Jillayne, I love those old bobbins too. There are so many different sizes and shapes. I wonder what fabric mills use now? Seems like something has been lost in new technology, wouldn't you say? These have so much character and fun to use like you have!
XO Diane