Monday, February 13, 2012

A Valentine For You

Valentine's day was always one of my favourites

 from cinnamon heart candies that always came in the little red heart-shaped plastic container, to the paper valenitines you punched out of an activity book (remember making the envelopes?)

heart shaped cookies, and heart shaped cakes
 

heart shaped ornaments and sachets
pretty in pale colours with a little stitching

a grown-up valentine


a special heart for all you lovers of anything and everything French


the pattern I used calls them pincushions...
I made them smaller, and I think they are the perfect size to fill with lavender and tuck in a drawer

or add a loop and hang on a tree
or a drawer knob


the beauty of the pattern is that you start with a square of fabric 
and at the end, you have two hearts

maybe one for you and one for a friend?


I kept it simple - all light fabrics and threads; cream and ivory coupled with icy palest blue
(i never seem to tire of this combination!)

a little woven ribbon bow and two heart charms

these are addictive little creations
if you would like to try your hand you can find the pattern here

I made mine smaller - I think I started with an 8" square, and did crazy quilting, but any technique would be wonderful...and instead of sewing ties I just used ribbon

and a Happy Valentine's day wish for all of you...

"My love for you is immortal
as the rocks upon the hill
And though the winds may blow
My love is steadfast still."

I wrote that when I was 13, probably having read far too much English Literature centered around struggling love in stormy mansions... I never added to it although at one time I thought it could perhaps be an epic love poem and my life's masterwork
(don't you just love the grand illusions and ideas of youth?!)

the older I get the more I like it just as it is... the stormy part is there, as is the concept of endurance
and the ideal that true love can go on forever

15 comments:

Dorthe said...

Hi my dear Jillayne, your hearts are the most beautiful,lovely new little ones . They are adorable, and I love the soft colours you used-such a beautiful take on the pattern, that I looked at. Thankyou dear friend for giving this link to us. I will go try make one, in girly pinks for mathilde whom is soon having birthday . Thankyou.
Hugs and love, Dorthe

Michelle May said...

Love your heart girlfriend, both the real one and this one! What a wonderful poem you wrote too!
Happy Valentines Day sweets!

Marj Talbot said...

Well, I have made the pin cushions but your hearts are adorable. Such a good idea to make them smaller, add the charms, ribbons, endless possibilities. I love your poem too - beautiful words of love.
Thank you so very much for sharing.

Robin said...

What a sweet heart and beautiful poem.

Hugs,
Robin

Bead and Needle said...

OK, is there ANYTHING that you can't do??? Poetry - and really good poetry to boot, at 13...a sign of greatness to come! BEAUTIFUL hearts, my friend...would love to know the pattern name. Happy Valentines Day, Jillayne - XOXO Tanya

Becca said...

This is so beautiful Jillayne! I love the french knots added to the herringbone...lovely. Happy Valentine's Day!

MosaicMagpie said...

What a perfect Valentine's Day post! I have seen these little pincushions before, but never done this beautifully though. I like the idea of making them small and adding the ribbon. You color combo is one of my favorites too. Thank you for sharing the link with us!
Deb

fiberdoodles said...

Very pretty!
Happy Valentine's Day ♥

mckinney37397 said...

Thanks for the link, yours are beautiful.

Barbara Jean said...

such a sweet heart, you and your created treasures.

blessings
barbara jean

Createology said...

Your soft colors and special stitches truly enhance this simple yet elegant heart. Thank you so very much for sharing the link for how-to. I will certainly be making some of these. Your poem is amazing...very bright of you at just 13. Happy Heart Hugs...

suziqu's thread works said...

A dear little crazy heart from a heartfelt woman! I have never seen this done before the colours and poem are both delightful and love can go on forever if we want!
Love and hugs to you,
Suzy

Diane said...

Jillayne, how sweet and how different!
I loved those little cinnamon candies too! In fact, when I was a little girl and learning how to swallow pills (scary thing to learn), I "practiced" with those candies! ;-)

Hugs and a belated Happy Valentine's Day to you,
Diane

lynn said...

what a lovely valentine project you have made.. i love hearts.. this is so pretty.. and vintage looking
thanks for sharing
big hugs :)
lynn l

Monica said...

Love the idea of attaching those charms to them... thanks for sharing inspiration!
xo