Thursday, February 9, 2012

Oh, Not Again!


I love trying new techniques... it's that old curiosity thing again...

and I love it even more when I after trying something new, I realize that although it's cool to know how to do it, I don't really want it for a hobby... soap and paper making were like that, as was basket weaving and needle felting... 


not the case with my latest endeavour

a week or so ago I took a beginner course on making jewelery
and since then I have been in hot pursuit of beads, baubles and trinkets and anything that says "bling"

so much fun


 now my work table looks like this

and I am trying to figure out storage for all this "stuff"


 working with wire like this was not part of the course but I wanted to fiddle with it 


 I do love stacking up beads and caps and such on head pins and eye pins


and playing with different combinations


the whole thing seemed completely peculiar to me at first as I really wear very little jewelery... I love it, but every time I put it on I think I look ridiculous... 
like I've been mucking about in my mother's jewelry box again


and then I realized beads and baubles on wires and things could decorate lots of things besides myself


this looks kind of goofy in the picture but in real life it looks quite pretty... strange how the camera does that...

anyhow, it seems I have a new hobby,
and I'm looking at beads and baubles everywhere, and books and magazines...

15 comments:

Brynwood Needleworks said...

Oh, Jillayne...
I know how you feel. I love working with beads and making jewelry! I have boxes and boxes of baubles, bangles and bright shiny beads...and could use another lifetime to make all the things I'd love to.

I love what you did to embellish your piece. It's a perfect touch for all your beautiful work!

Have fun with it, girlfriend!
xoxo
Donna

Dorthe said...

Dear Jillayne,
I love your twist of jewlery making- and the wire to hang your cone.A great idea, and so beautiful with the pins of pearls dangling from buttom and sides-you will have wonderful fun adding this new hobby to your beautiful sewing skills--have fun dear freind.
Hugs,Dorthe

Bead and Needle said...

Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh - you've come over to the dark side...muahahahahahahahahaha! Glad to have the company! Tanya

Marj Talbot said...

The good part is you can have tons of supplies in little space as compared to fabric, batting, etc.
It looks great - love the lace.
I hope to try a sampling of crazy quilting with beaded embroidery. Hmmmmmmmm where to I start.
Enjoy your beading - it looks wonderful. Thanks for sharing.

MosaicMagpie said...

So much fun to create little unusual blingies to add to our projects. It is also a handy skill to know how the fix any jewelry item you may break. You have all the tools and wire so the sky is the limit!
Deb

Draffin Bears said...

Dear Jillayne,

Love your new endeavour and how wonderful the beads and lace work in with the cone. I look forward to seeing what you make next.
Have fun and enjoy the weekend

Hugs
Carolyn

Robin said...

Looks like your new hobby suites you well! Beautiful bead combinations, and you seem to have a way with wire too. Hope you have a great weekend.

Hugs,
Robin

Chris said...

Hi Jillayne, it's amazing what beautiful concoctions you can come up with with beads and materials. I'm sure you will have lots of fun creating. I do. Thanks for sharing.I have recently found your blog and am now following you, and will visit often. Please stop by my blog and perhaps you would like to follow me also. Have a wonderful day. Hugs, Chris
http://chelencarter-retiredandlovingit.blogspot.com/

Wendy said...

What a coincidence! I've just come home from a jewellery making course! It's so much fun!

CosmoGirl Carla said...

Good Morning Jillayne! Was catching up on your past posts. You've been busy creating some gorgeous things! I can understand your new obsession - so many pretty little trinkets to work with. Can't wait to see more creations.

The French Bear said...

How lovely, yes it's kind of bittersweet when we discover another art form....but this is gorgeous!!! Good for you Jillayne for being brave and adventurous!!
Hugs,
Mags
xx

Alisa Noble said...

I would love to make jewelry, but I just can't ever find the patience for it. Though knowing how to wire wrap has really come in handy on several non-jewelry projects.
I love the curly-Q handle!

Createology said...

Oh My Dear...how I can relate to the many crafty pursuits that I did not find suited me. However, beads and I have been having a love affair since I was little. I adore what you have done with your simple cone to make it elegant and unique. Beads are little and take up just a small space...well...when you first begin collecting. Enjoy this as I see you beading forever! Happy Heart Hugs Dear...

Michelle May said...

Oh my...look out! Another addiction has gotten you! hee,hee,hee. Looks wonderful girlfriend!

2 Good Claymates said...

That is so lovely Jill! I am really glad you are putting that jewelry making class to good use! Can't wait to see what else you will come up with next!

Carolyn