Sunday, January 1, 2012

There's A Kind Of Hush


Happy New Year!

 

My glass is filled, my pipe is lit,
My den is all a-cozy glow:
And snug before the fire I sit,
And wait to feel the old year go.
I dedicate to solemn thought
Amid my too-unthinking days,
This sober moment, sadly fraught
With much of blame, with little praise.

This is the first verse of a New Year's poem by Robert Service, which goes on to address all the emotions one might have as one faces the end of a year... happy, sad, grateful, remorseful...

And that pretty much describes me last night... I think I felt all of those emotions and then some, but I think of them all, grateful was the best. How lucky we are to have lived another year in good health, with everything we need and then some. How lucky we are to live where we do, where people are safe and secure; a land of opportunity.

I was going to beat myself up a little today about not being a high achiever with my New Year's Aspirations for 2011 but then I remembered my word for last year was "content". And I realized then, that regardless of everything else on the list of what I believed I should do or try to do, I had achieved that. 

I am content.

And so my first word for 2012, to focus on for the month of January is "hush". 

Hush is one of those words that can be soft and soothing,  bossy, or sharp, lullabies and lilting songs... 

I chose it first to remind me for the rest of the year, the rest of the words, to hush, and listen and see what comes...

7 comments:

Marj Talbot said...

Hush - that's a good word. When we feel like exploding about some little thing, just hush - think about it and maybe it's not so bad.
To hush and listen to the birds sing - there's so much to be thankful for so hush and enjoy life's blessings.

Shirley said...

I agree with you that Hush is a very good word to start the New Year with. I think we are all a little guilty of not listening enough like we should to those around us before we speak. Have a great week Your Missouri Friend

Createology said...

Content is such a wonderful feeling and how good to know you feel that. Hush is such a soft word it will be interesting to hear how it behaves for you this month. How does one type in a hush??? I am using a very soft touch if that helps...

Dorthe said...

What a wonderful word you have found, dear Jillayne- it suits in every situation ,one can be in.
My word is -enjoy- to remind myself to at least ..try to enjoy my life every day... being born here in Denmark- having a home-food every day-beautiful nature outside my door-and even more,- a loving family and friends- and to find the beauty in all small things ,to enjoy them-and not take them for granted.

Love and hugs, Dorthe

MosaicMagpie said...

Hush...We really all should practice this one. Sometimes the best conversation is when we quietly listen and don't speak at all.
Happy New Year my friend!
Deb

Maggie said...

Finally after all the hussle and bussle of xmas I am happy to have a little HUSH in my life and get all the xmas decorating away and put my house back in order. Looking forward to the demo's again where you once again will inspire me. Happy New year special person....hope it will be a wonderful year for you.
hugs
Maggie

Evy said...

That 2012 is of the happiest and most creative for you, a blessing for all your family!

Beautiful day